GPS attached to PDA/phones?

IrvineKeith

Hi everyone. I just got into geocaching a couple weeks ago, and wanted to say hello. So far, I've had a blast! (Which makes me wonder, should I run like hell?? :-)

I also have a question... Do any of you use GPSr's for PDA's or PDA/phone combos? I ended up getting a Meridian Plat, but I was tempted by the combo from Mapopolis -- they have a GPSr specifically for the Handspring Treo (which I own).

From what I've read, it sounds like these aren't as accurate or forgiving under trees/cover? But I wanted to get any feedback here.

Thanks!

--Keith

you could always use the one you bought and hook it up through a serial cable. You can load the cords into Microsoft Mappoint and onto PDA. Don't know for sure if it works on palm, I use pocket pc. If anything get Delorme Xmaps and use it for navigation. I don't know of any specialized geocaching software for pda's though.

Boo_crew

quote:
Originally posted by boo_crew:

you could always use the one you bought and hook it up through a serial cable. You can load the cords into Microsoft Mappoint and onto PDA. Don't know for sure if it works on palm, I use pocket pc. If anything get Delorme Xmaps and use it for navigation. I don't know of any specialized geocaching software for pda's though.

Boo_crew

Try here for a great program for the pocketPC for geocaching. Oziexplorer and the companion prg OziexplorerCE for the pocket pc. Works with topo maps, logs and loads waypoints routes etc. Everything you need to Find a cache. Well worth the price. Plus you can download the trial version to see if you like it first.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

We used a Navman attached to an M130 for our first 200+ finds. Did lose lock under trees much like a garmin would from what I hear. I now use a Meridian. I miss the big colour screen and the palm settled down much quicker than the Meridian which takes a while (I hear that's the norm). And of course I don't have to worry about putting the Meridian in a ziplock just beause it's starting to rain. I think the Meridian is easier to use for geocaching, but we had absolutly no problem finding caches with our navman.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I'm using a NavMan attached to a Palm VII for my hunts and it's working great. Can't beat the price either. Sure it's a couple years old but it works great and there's a lot of GPS software available for the Palm. (And being a programmer, I'm writing new stuff as well.)

I use a Magellan Nav Companion for my Palm Vx, which I got for $50 on eBay. It's great! I got the Palm for $30, so for $80 (plus some additional software) I got a mapping GPS that stores cache pages!!

Now I'm developing some software for Palm that does mapping, cache pages, logs, hints, and, of course, navigation! Check out the forum topic:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=67160496

A Palm (or PocketPC) is one of the best Geocaching tools out there, with the one drawback of their lack of durability.

-Greg

Gee Enginuity - Turning great ideas into abandoned projects since 1999

I should be getting the GPS companion I ordered for my Palm m505 soon, has anyone used this one. I talked to a guy (a weird one at that) at a Rand McNally store in St. Louis about the Navman (different model I know) He mentioned the speed of the handheld device (Palm) being a hinderance to the use of the GPS. Has anyone seen this problem?

[This message was edited by JaDus on August 18, 2003 at 07:52 PM.]