Pocket queries vs. Lists

2quigs

Just curious of what the advantages are in creating "Pocket Queries" as opposed to "Lists".  Maybe it's in the filters.  Lists can be created immediately; whereas pocket queries have to be submitted.   I've used both and I can't see where the advantage is. 

Edited by 2quigs
word missing
53 minutes ago, 2quigs said:

Just curious of what the advantages are in creating "Pocket Queries" as opposed to "Lists".  Maybe it's in the filters.  Lists can be created immediately; whereas pocket queries have to submitted.   I've used both and I can't see where the advantage is. 

We're phone cachers, but I'm pretty sure Pocket Queries are better suited to be uploaded onto a GPS. And like you said, you can filter for caches with Pocket queries, but Lists you would have to filter separately and add the caches to your list. Here are the help center links so you can try to spot some more differences.

Pocket Queries

Lists

Edited by TmdAndGG

Also a list is just a static list of caches and won't change unless you manually add or remove caches or overwrite it with a new list. A pocket query though is a set of filters and the results will change each time it runs depending on what caches currently meet the filter requirements.

PQs also provide a much richer set of attribute filters, allowing both positive and negative attributes to be included or excluded.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
51 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Also a list is just a static list of caches and won't change unless you manually add or remove caches or overwrite it with a new list.

I use Lists when I want to select exactly the caches I want.  Or, sometimes when there’s a filter that’s easier to set up in New Search than in a Pocket Query.

As you mentioned, a PQ adds and removes caches on a schedule.  So there are advantages to using one or the other, although some filters overlap.

1 hour ago, TmdAndGG said:

We're phone cachers, but I'm pretty sure Pocket Queries are better suited to be uploaded onto a GPS.

If you run a pocket query, it shows up in the Official Geocaching Smartphone Apps just like it was a list.  So, if you are traveling to Smalltown on a whim, you can run a pocket query for all the caches in the Smalltown area and it will be on your phone under "Lists."  You can download it for offline use, to save cellular data or if cell reception is poor in Smalltown.

You can also use the "Caches Along a Route" feature in Pocket Queries to load all the caches within X miles of the route you'll be taking to drive from your home to Smalltown.

• Upvote 3