Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
MNTA

Problem with filters - Corrected Coordinates vs Actual Coordinates

Recommended Posts

So it's been bothering me for sometime and I finally put my finger on it. So when I look at map of available caches to be found I always have to ignore the unknown caches that I have not solved. The filter of showing "Updated coordinate only" seems to be incorrect. If I select this I get the handful of solved unknown caches I have solved but now my map is empty of all the traditional caches that can be found.

 

Wouldn't it be better if the filter was more like actual cache location? I'd like to see a map of the caches I can actually find. So all physical/vitual caches plus the solved and challenge unknown caches.

 

Thoughts?

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post

We gave up fighting this problem years ago since gc.com didn't have any way to address it.  Our 'offline tool' resolves the issue for us.  We maintain a separate database of our solved puzzles, and merge those in with our PQ that does not include puzzles.  The results on our Mapsource or Basecamp map show only those that we have solved, and exactly where they are, ready for routing our next geocaching run.  Another good argument for the 'offline tool'.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Trying to combine inclusive and exclusive filters can be complex, which is why GC doesn't do it.  I have to use a macro in my 'offline tool' to build the complex filter I want (all trad, multi, WIG, virtual, LBH, webcams, EC, only solved puzzle caches,  and qualified for Challenge Caches, but none of the caches (of any type) on the large island that needs a ferry ride - I think that's about it...).  With the filter set I can export to any map program I want (I still often use the old MS Streets & Trips) and the various GPSr's we use.

Share this post


Link to post

Similar issue with Letterboxes not at the posted coordinates. Or mysteries and letterboxes that are at the posted coordinates.  It's generally not easy to tell at a glance what is sitting at the pin location until you correct the coordinates (assuming of course you mean that the new coordinates is a cache to find).  I sometimes use it to update a multicache waypoint that I haven't yet completed, but know I need to visit that stage at some point.

 

Personally, I'd more highly value the option to show pins either at posted or corrected coordinates.  

 

In Cachly, I leave the proximity bubble feature enabled, so that ends up with the same issue described in this thread. Sometimes in an area with a bunch of caches and some LBs, those LBs don't show a bubble.I'll go in, check it's at posted, then just "correct" the coords to the same posted, just so the bubble will show on the map.  A minor inconvenience, but I think there's no easy way around the issue given how widely the corrected feature is used across cache types =/

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...