iPhone precise latitude/longitude, continually updated, without cell service.

CuyamaEJ

I have the Geocaching.com app on my iPhone.  Many many years ago I could use the old version of the app to get my latitude and longitude – useful information for geocaching, but I also used it for other tasks.  But I cannot find this on the current version I have.  I have three requirements:

-          Good precision (such as 1/1000 of a minute).

-          Continually updated as I move about.

-          Worked even when cellular service is not available, and I did not pre-download something.

I can get the lat/long, continually updated, by selecting a cache and going to waypoints – but no caches are available for selecting if I don’t have cell service or previously didn’t download some sites.  I don’t mind paying for a different app, but it’s hard to find which satisfy my 3 requirements.  Does anyone have any advice?

23 minutes ago, CuyamaEJ said:

I have the Geocaching.com app on my iPhone.  Many many years ago I could use the old version of the app to get my latitude and longitude – useful information for geocaching, but I also used it for other tasks.  But I cannot find this on the current version I have.  I have three requirements:

-          Good precision (such as 1/1000 of a minute).

-          Continually updated as I move about.

-          Worked even when cellular service is not available, and I did not pre-download something.

I can get the lat/long, continually updated, by selecting a cache and going to waypoints – but no caches are available for selecting if I don’t have cell service or previously didn’t download some sites.  I don’t mind paying for a different app, but it’s hard to find which satisfy my 3 requirements.  Does anyone have any advice?

While navigating to any cache (even one saved for offline use) you see a constantly updated GPS location on the compass screen.

For offline waypoints, Commander Compass or Spyglass are nice Apps for showing GPS coordinates in various formats.  The basic version is free.  Keep an eye on the Apps Free Today sites, and you may see the upgrade of one or the other for free.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Thank you kunarion!  So the solution is:

I downloaded some caches (doesn't matter which area).

Out in the cell-free region I go to list and select one of the downloaded caches (doesn't matter is nearby or not).

I hit navigate.

I hit the compass symbol.

Kludgy, but seems to work.

• Funny 1
On 10/3/2020 at 9:12 PM, CuyamaEJ said:

Navigation apps do not require cellular service simply for displaying lat/long coordinates.  Once satellite lock is established (which cellular service can help do, but is not required) location data comes from GPS satellites.  Most apps will even work when in airplane mode.  If you lose cellular service you won't be able to download maps in real time, but lat/long can still be displayed.

• Helpful 1

Thank you NYPaddleCacher.

It's not a topic that most such apps would probably advertise, but before buying such an app I would want to know that the lat/long would show up in all cases.  For example, if I had not previously downloaded maps for a given region (remember I am starting up in a region without cellular service), would the app still start up and give me lat/long?  Also, I would want to be sure that the lat/long is shown to the precision I want.  Can you suggest a nav app that does this?

2 hours ago, CuyamaEJ said:

It's not a topic that most such apps would probably advertise, but before buying such an app I would want to know that the lat/long would show up in all cases.  For example, if I had not previously downloaded maps for a given region (remember I am starting up in a region without cellular service), would the app still start up and give me lat/long?  Also, I would want to be sure that the lat/long is shown to the precision I want.  Can you suggest a nav app that does this?

GPS Apps including geocaching Apps tend to have no trouble getting decent GPS coordinates without data service or maps.  But if the map isn’t available, the location dot is of course placed in a blank space.  The coords are shown, and even distance and direction to another point is shown.  Without maps or phone service.

• Helpful 1