Creating an account for someone else

Max and 99

I just noticed today that if you want to gift a membership to someone you can create an account for them. I'm really surprised that this is an option!

Sure, the site says they can edit all the information later, but it doesn't sit well with me that GS states you can create an account for someone else. A second thought is wondering how that fits in with compliancy regulations. I have not given it much thought, just wondering about it.  

1 minute ago, arisoft said:

I don’t think you can verify an email address without the consent of the right person.

Do you have any specific legislation in mind?

It almost seems like you're creating a second account for yourself, then allowing the PM recipient to edit everything on the account, including a new email which they would then have to verify. But you're right about the email confusing me! Like I said, I haven't thought all this through. But I think what you've said explains a lot. 

If you use your own email account and verify it, and give the recipient the password so they can edit everything, doesn't that violate the TOU?  But if you create a new account with someone else's email, then the validation email that is generated would give them the opportunity to approve or decline it. 

I think I'm understanding this a little bit better.

20 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

If you use your own email account and verify it, and give the recipient the password so they can edit everything, doesn't that violate the TOU?

https://www.geocaching.com/account/documents/termsofuse

You may not share your access credentials with any third party or let anyone else use your account or your access credentials.

TOU doesn't prevent sharing credentials with the right owner of the account. Only sharing with a 3rd party is disallowed.

Edited by arisoft
10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I just noticed today that if you want to gift a membership to someone you can create an account for them. I'm really surprised that this is an option!

Sure, the site says they can edit all the information later, but it doesn't sit well with me that GS states you can create an account for someone else. A second thought is wondering how that fits in with compliancy regulations. I have not given it much thought, just wondering about it.  

You know how much havoc I could stir "gifting" members I created ?   :laughing:

On the gift membership form, the first thing asked for is your name and email

- But I agree, "The recipient must already have a Geocaching account. If they don't, create one for them here. They'll be able to edit all of their account info later." seems a bit nonchalant (to me), with all the concerns with privacy n stuff..    :)

Though if welcoming a child under 16 as a new member, no longer tied to the family account, don't you have to create it for them ?

- It says right in the terms of use that " individuals under 16 are welcome to geocache, their parents or guardians must own and manage their accounts".