A fussy finder?

Last Thursday I received this log on one of my caches:

Found itFound it

That was a clever little mathematical puzzle. The code was easy, but figuring out how to interpret the resulting numbers took some time.

Once I got the coordinates of the droid it wasn't too hard to find. The directions that it provided were were straightforward, but would be pretty tough to follow without a calculator.

The mistress took a little longer to find. I put my bag right in front of her without noticing, then spent some time searching in the wrong direction before I returned and saw her.

She's looking a little the worse for wear.

Fearing the Jedi Mistress (Skye Lukewarmer) might have been attacked by Tusken Raiders, or perhaps had her head bitten off by a drop-bear, I ventured out there this morning, taking Skye's twin sister and stunt double with me to do a swap-over. This is what I found:

BedraggledSkyLukewarmer.jpg.010b28e344a1ad72ee7cb68f9d175227.jpg

Okay, a bit of grime on her jumpsuit, but surely that's to be expected after two and a half years of field work. Her backpack container and its contents were bone dry, as to be expected considering her secret outpost is in a rock cavity protected from sun and rain, and there's heaps of room still in the logbook (it's only had 16 finds). I suppose I should be grateful they didn't log an NM too, not that it would have mattered since I've now visited the cache and logged an OM anyway.

I'll give her a nice hot sudsy soak then either swap her back over next time I'm out there or wait until her twin gets a similar log. But how pristine should we expect a two and a half year old bushland cache to be?

Oh, and those calculations that would have been tough without a calculator? Just adding a small offset to the fractional minutes east and subtracting a similar offset from the fractional minutes south, and there's not even any carry into the whole minutes. I guess they don't teach mental arithmetic in schools anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2

Cute cache and a fun idea.

The inexperienced love using 'easy' to log. Quick/lucky find, does not necessarily equal easy find, but beginners don't know the difference. I used to write, "Easy" when I started caching, but one day I actually thought about it, and changed that to quick.

I had a log the other day, saying,  "The cache was quite wet from all the rain."  I visited next day, and found the log only barely damp. Not falling apart and still writeable on. Put it back and made sure everything was closed properly. Interesting how it got damp though, as it's under a boulder out of the rain.

46 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Fearing the Jedi Mistress (Skye Lukewarmer) might have been attacked by Tusken Raiders, or perhaps had her head bitten off by a drop-bear, I ventured out there this morning, taking Skye's twin sister and stunt double with me to do a swap-over. This is what I found:

That is so creative!