Parking waypoint icon not showing on map

Spacemann Spiff

Hello.

I am in the process of developing a new EarthCache, and have been working on it over several days.  (It has not been submitted for publishing yet).  At the time I initially created it, I added a Parking waypoint, and it was displayed on the map with  "P" parking icon.

Today I was in the process of adding three Reference Point waypoints, and at some point during this process I noticed the Parking waypoint icon had disappeared from the map, and only the Reference Point icons were showing.  My first thought was:  maybe the map has a limit of how many icons it can show.  So I decided to delete two of the Reference Points (they weren't all that important for finding/answering the EarthCache questions; I was just adding them for detail), but this did not make the Parking icon return.  I then tried deleting ALL of the waypoints (including the Parking one), and then re-added it, but the icon still will not return.

I had noticed my original Parking waypoint entry had shown some sort of code under the "Lookup" column ("P0" just like the Prefix column), but now it's no longer there.  (See attached image).  Is this why it's not displaying on the map?  Is there any way to edit the Lookup column to add the code back?

image.png.8347267d72c95df091ebe89cf6956c96.png

How can I get the Parking icon to show on the map again?

Thanks,

John

Edited by Spacemann Spiff

To follow up, here's an image from one of my other geocaches.  Notice how the "Lookup" column has a "P0" in it.  I think this may have something to do with the icon displaying on the map.  But I can't figure out how to edit that field.  How do I edit the "Lookup" column and/or get the parking icon to reappear on the map?

Thanks in advance.

image.png.35eee94a3a1accae9e8766adf571e9c1.png

Whether the Lookup field is populated or not has nothing to do with whether the respective waypoints shows on the map. I believe this is actually a legacy field that is no longer used.

Here is one of my caches as a reference: https://coord.info/GC8QT37 

It has three parking waypoints, non of which have the lookup populated, and they all show on the small preview map window on the cache page or the Geocaching App.

I would recommend if in doubt deleting all additional waypoints, save your listing, and then editing again to re-add them.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 7/22/2020 at 12:27 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

I would recommend if in doubt deleting all additional waypoints, save your listing, and then editing again to re-add them.

Thanks.

I already tried that, as mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of my original post.

The parking icon still will not return to the map.

On 7/28/2020 at 10:58 AM, IceColdUK said:

Sorry, but I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue.  Just to be absolutely sure though... it’s not hidden under the Earthcache icon is it?

No, it's not hidden under the EarthCache icon.

The steps I went through when I noticed it missing were rather complicated.  If you feel like trying to reproduce it, it would be much appreciated.  But I don't expect you to if you don't have the time.

Let's see if I can re-trace the steps:

1).  Created the original Parking waypoint at the time of creating the cache.  (It allows you to choose one during the process of creating the cache).

2).  Later decided to add "Point of Interest" waypoints.  While in Edit mode, I clicked on "Add Waypoint."  When you do this, the system adds what appears to be a new (2nd) Parking waypoint, but that's just the default name that shows in the Type section.  If you look toward the right, you'll see that one of these has "P0" in the Prefix section, indicating this is your original Parking waypoint.  The other (new) one has "01" in the Prefix.  Well, I didn't notice this at first.  All I saw was that there were two Parking waypoints, so I went about editing one of them to be my new "Point of Interest" waypoint.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think I accidentally picked the "P0" waypoint and changed it to being the "Point of Interest" waypoint 1.

3).  At some point I realized my mistake, but am not sure if it was immediately after this, or after I'd added a 2nd "Point of Interest" waypoint.  But once I realized the Prefix columns were showing different codes (which is around the same time I noticed the Parking icon was no longer showing on the map), I tried to go back and fix what I'd messed up.  By that time, when out of Edit mode, I saw that the Waypoint section was no longer showing a code in the Lookup column, either.  So I kept trying to figure out how to edit the Lookup column (I'd looked at one of my other caches to see that Parking waypoints also have a "P0" in the Lookup column) but I could never access this field.  So that's when I presumed that this column had something to do with the Parking icon displaying on the map.

4).  At this point nothing was working, so I went back and deleted the Parking waypoint altogether.  That didn't fix it.  So then I deleted all of the "Point of Interest" waypoints, too.  Still didn't fix it.  But at this point I noticed if I went back and re-added a "new" Parking waypoint, the system was "remembering" my prior parking coordinates.  So that tells me that the system is not really *truly* deleting my Parking waypoint when I delete it.  Somehow it's "remembering" what parking coordinates I'd used before, and is defaulting to them whenever I try to add a Parking waypoint.

OK, that's about all I can remember of how I got into this predicament.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

When I look at your listing, I show the parking coordinates as having the exact same coordinates as the cache itself. So, I do think that the issue is that they are being obscured by the EarthCache icon. (Note: additional waypoints are automatically pre-filled with coordinates matching the posted cache coordinates.)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 7/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, Moun10Bike said:

When I look at your listing, I show the parking coordinates as having the exact same coordinates as the cache itself. So, I do think that the issue is that they are being obscured by the EarthCache icon. (Note: additional waypoints are automatically pre-filled with coordinates matching the posted cache coordinates.)

OMG.  Thanks very much.  At this point my mind is so muddled from this that I have no idea how this happened.  I could have sworn....  Anyway, I appreciate your (and IceColdUK and other commenters') patience and replies.  I will continue tweaking and fine-tuning.

By the way, I also apologize for how long it takes me to respond here.  I have tried to find a way to make this system notify me (via email) of new replies to my posts, but I was unsuccessful.  So I only get the notification icon at the top when I remember to come specifically into the forums.

Thanks again.

• Upvote 1
On 7/31/2020 at 6:09 PM, Spacemann Spiff said:

I have tried to find a way to make this system notify me (via email) of new replies to my posts, but I was unsuccessful.  So I only get the notification icon at the top when I remember to come specifically into the forums.

You can change this here: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/notifications/options/

You're not alone! Most of us don't know how to do this and when we click on "Notify me of replies", we don't expect to have to come back to be notified. But it is the default here in this forum. One day I found this previous link (it is hidden in your forum's profile named "Account Settings" in the upper right corner of every page) and now I receive emails when something I want to be notified of happens.

• Helpful 1
On 8/14/2020 at 10:18 AM, Tungstène said:

You can change this here: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/notifications/options/

You're not alone! Most of us don't know how to do this and when we click on "Notify me of replies", we don't expect to have to come back to be notified. But it is the default here in this forum. One day I found this previous link (it is hidden in your forum's profile named "Account Settings" in the upper right corner of every page) and now I receive emails when something I want to be notified of happens.

Thanks very much!!  I just updated the setting.  I appreciate it!!