Multi or Mystery Cache?

Chipper3

I have a cache planned That gives true coords for the first Stage.

There  are directions in the first cache for how to decrypt coded messages and coded combinations that are needed to find and open each lockbox in sequence  in the next 5 (hidden) stages.  Each stage has its on coded message that requires the tool described in the cache found at the posted coords. The last stage-7 has the log and the swag.  

Would I classify this as a Multi Cache or a Mystery Cache?

If there is something physical at the posted coordinates (stage 1), then it could be either, though Multi would be recommended. Typically the only Mystery caches with a physical first stage are field puzzles or challenge caches. Typically.  But if the intent is to find stage 1, then 5 additional physical stages, then I'd list it as Multi, especially if it's a sequential progression through stages.

12 minutes ago, Chipper3 said:

There  are directions in the first cache for how to decrypt coded messages and coded combinations that are needed to find and open each lockbox in sequence  in the next 5 (hidden) stages.  Each stage has its on coded message that requires the tool described in the cache found at the posted coords. The last stage-7 has the log and the swag.  

Do you need internet access (or anything more than a piece of paper and a pen) to decrypt those coded messages once you find each stage? If so, I'd think it should be listed as a Mystery. The Help Centre says it should be a Multi if "The cache can be found by reading the cache page and following the instructions in the field" but a Mystery if "The cache cannot be found without calculation, or research that goes beyond reading the cache page."

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, Chipper3 said:

how to decrypt coded messages and coded combinations

This sounds like it could be a field puzzle that should be listed as a mystery/puzzle cache.

It's a grey area. And I've seen regional variations, where caches that would be listed as mystery/puzzle in one area are listed as multi-cache in another, and vice versa.

What do you think sets the expectations best for your local geocachers, so people who search for your cache will encounter something similar to what they expect?

2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The Help Centre says it should be a Multi if "The cache can be found by reading the cache page and following the instructions in the field" but a Mystery if "The cache cannot be found without calculation, or research that goes beyond reading the cache page."

That all makes sense to me, and also tells me that I mislabeled one of my hides as a Mystery when it should have been a Multi.  One of the finders also mentioned that it really was a Multi, but short of archiving and re-doing it, I can't change the type now, can I?  It was published over a year ago... (GC82JRM for those who just have to know these things!!)

4 hours ago, Chipper3 said:

I would classify it as a Nightmare for Maintenance.  Seriously.  I think you should consider very carefully the impact of this cache.  The way you have described it, if even one of the stages is out of commission, the whole thing fails.  And if they are physical puzzles, I can assure you that the intermediate stages will break (or be broken) on a regular basis.

Consider ways of making the experience of finding this cache less "brittle."  Having a series of caches with a bonus at the end is one possible solution.  There are others people have come up with.  But I would be quite confident in predicting that, as described, this cache will remain operable for no more than a couple of months.

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

The way you have described it, if even one of the stages is out of commission, the whole thing fails.

Well, that's pretty much the same with any multi-stage cache sequence, essentially.  It's ultimately a matter of how the sequence of waypoints is designed.  But if you make something multi-stage, chance are the intent is that you move from one to the next, to the next. If you can skip them, then, that kind of defeats the purpose (again, depending on how the experience is designed)

10 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

Consider ways of making the experience of finding this cache less "brittle."  Having a series of caches with a bonus at the end is one possible solution.

Typically those 'bonus' caches require finding each of the other caches. If you can't find one, you can't find the bonus.

Yes, of course there are ways to 'uber' finals; and if you can do that with a series of caches to find the bonus, the same principle can apply to a series of waypoints and the final.

But, if your point is rather that at least if the waypoints are separate geocaches (rather than a string of waypoints with 1 final 'find'), then you could claim a find at each "stage" until the break, then yeah, I'd agree that it would be a more finder-friendly setup :) (and this entire comment is pretty moot, heh)

22 hours ago, Chipper3 said:

Are there caches with a similar concept in your area? If so, classify yours as the same type as the others.

I think the question whether to list multi-caches with field puzzles as Multi or Mystery has no single answer. Here in Germany, the reviewers have offered a simple guideline:

• If you can read the listing, optionally grab necessary tools mentioned, and head right off to the posted coordinates, it's a multi - regardless of the number and nature of any field puzzles at the stages.
  • If you have to do homework first, to find out where to start, then it's a Mystery - even if the homework is trivial (like simply adding a given offset to the listing coordinates).

Personally, I think this is a very useful guideline.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

Are there caches with a similar concept in your area? If so, classify yours as the same type as the others.

I think the question whether to list multi-caches with field puzzles as Multi or Mystery has no single answer. Here in Germany, the reviewers have offered a simple guideline:

• If you can read the listing, optionally grab necessary tools mentioned, and head right off to the posted coordinates, it's a multi - regardless of the number and nature of any field puzzles at the stages.
  • If you have to do homework first, to find out where to start, then it's a Mystery - even if the homework is trivial (like simply adding a given offset to the listing coordinates).

Personally, I think this is a very useful guideline.

Thank You!  Your guidelines make great sense! I like  the thought process that if the starting location is encrypted and work has to be done to even start then  it is a Mystery.

At worst, you can always just email a local reviewer and ask. That tends to be reliable solution to any potentially regionally-variant review decisions.  This one's fairly global, but the reviewers who publish may judge differently than others when the guideline isn't 100% definitive, such as in this case.

• Upvote 1