TFTC But It's Not Mine

colleda

It's probably rare but has anyone ever thanked for placing a cache that wasn't their own (or adopted)? I found one today.

prem_user.gifPremium Member 

2.png2740

Found itFound it

31/03/2018

Found icon_smile.gif -- 1:40 pm -- Thanks for the hunt and Thanks for bringing us here to this location colleda.

Cache Condition: Good - log book needs replacing.
Took: Nothing.
Left: Nothing.
Trackables:

The Cache
Nice easy find even though the area is not so nice is sure is good to see where we would have stopped for a rest when we were kids. Thanks.

The Day
OCW xxxxxx xxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Camping at Old Mill we packed up and left for a day of caching and drove right past numerous caches .... ggaahhhh!! Had to uturn as there was no way I was passing this opportunity up when I was so close. I did not plan for this Mega just threw things in the car and left, so I am bummed that I didn't get to solve and find the GeoArt. Not planning made caching difficult and meant things took longer. Ended up over the east side of the lake caching and then I discovered the Lab Caches, so had to retrace .... ggaahhhh!! Arrived back at the Oz Mega showground at 9pm and dinner was all gone except for one amazing guy who was still open and cooked us some yummy cheese and tomato toasties with hot choc. Hung around for a bit and then started the 3 hour drive south only to sit on the freeway just past Campbelltown in a long line of cars for some 30 minutes before being redirected back the way we had come. We went the back way and were able to rejoin the Hume southbound near Picton but the northbound ramp was now barricaded by police.

`14 = 14 icon_smile.gif 0 icon_smile_sad.gif 0 icon_smile_shy.gif not attempted. ---- 1 of 14 being event cache

Respect peoples caches - money, time and effort that has gone into them.

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, colleda said:

It's probably rare but has anyone ever thanked for placing a cache that wasn't their own (or adopted)? I found one today.

People who own caches in areas with numbers trails often get logs as though their caches were part of the numbers trail, sometimes including thanks to the owner of the numbers trail.

But that doesn't seem to be what's going on in your case...

Two options 

Some apps allow you to pull through CO names automatically into templates, and the app has messed up, or

More likely they found a lot of caches and just made an error, especially if you have lots of caches locally. Maybe they intended to do one of yours, changed the route and forgot.

I like the idea of a log like that. Lots of information for CO without having to type out the whole "got up, had breakfast" every time 

6 hours ago, colleda said:

There's one locally that has a format similar to your example. 

His son's now using it too, and every cache by different COs they find, his log "thanks" the same person (who happens to be a Disney character).

We never gave it much thought, as they seem to be the only ones here.  Now I'm curious too...   :)

I only came across the example by accident. I was scrolling through logs on a nearby cache and somehow glimpsed my GC Game Name. I was curious about the lack of NM logs as the CO had quite the game about 5 years ago,  Why?

On 1/4/18 there was a NM log saying the log book was full. Since that date there has been 51 Found Its logged 9 of which mentioned the log book being full but no more NMs. So, this is, roughly, 20% of finders were not using the NM or NA and I wondered why and in what thread I could use this example for discussion (still open to that).

I do have caches in the area but not close by, this one perhaps a kilometre or more from my nearest.

Edited by colleda
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, niraD said:

People who own caches in areas with numbers trails often get logs as though their caches were part of the numbers trail, sometimes including thanks to the owner of the numbers trail.

But that doesn't seem to be what's going on in your case...

You're right, I never thought of that as there are no PTs around here although I have read about about it in threads about PTs.