Poll: SWAG "rules"

The most basic unwritten rule in about SWAG is that it should be traded in a "equal or greater value basis" to prevent unfairness. This is not always followed, but that's another story. Anyways, what is not very clear is the quantity aspect in the trading. In your opinion, should SWAG be traded only in a one for one basis no matter the value? Or I can, let's say, take three items and leave one, provided that the one item has equal or greater value than the other three combined?

11 minutes ago, DiegoAguiar said:

Or I can, let's say, take three items and leave one, provided that the one item has equal or greater value than the other three combined?

There is no rule about the number of items traded, only about the value. So if you want to leave multiple items in exchange for one nicer item, or vice versa, then go ahead.

Although at the same time, use common sense. If an ammo can is full of kid-friendly toys and trinkets with little cash value, then it isn't a good idea to clear it out in exchange for a single high-value item.

• Upvote 3
28 minutes ago, DiegoAguiar said:

The most basic unwritten rule in about SWAG is that it should be traded in a "equal or greater value basis" to prevent unfairness. This is not always followed, but that's another story. Anyways, what is not very clear is the quantity aspect in the trading. In your opinion, should SWAG be traded only in a one for one basis no matter the value? Or I can, let's say, take three items and leave one, provided that the one item has equal or greater value than the other three combined?

Honesty and integrity, as long as you make a trade with those in mind who could find fault in your trade? Simply asking the question tells me that you know what an even trade is, feel free to trade three items in my cache for one of yours, sometimes value doesn't mean monetary value.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, DiegoAguiar said:

The most basic unwritten rule in about SWAG is that it should be traded in a "equal or greater value basis" to prevent unfairness. This is not always followed, but that's another story.

Anyways, what is not very clear is the quantity aspect in the trading. In your opinion, should SWAG be traded only in a one for one basis no matter the value? Or I can, let's say, take three items and leave one, provided that the one item has equal or greater value than the other three combined?

It's not unwritten, it's right in Geocaching 101.   Shame that many don't read it...    ;)   

"Equal or greater" I feel is incorrect anyway.  I can buy certain items for a buck, that you might have to pay eight for.  Same item.

It's more like take than trade these days.  I feel that'd change if folks went back to mentioning in your found it log what each was. 

We still do.  Don't know why that stopped for many...

I rarely trade, leaving stuff more than taking.  How you trade isn't an issue.  Just try to come close as you can if you do.  :)

One time I was surprised to spot a 2pk of Camp orbit locks, and put six Sacagawea dollars and all the hallmark ornaments left in my bag as trade. 

- IIRC it amounted to around nine items swapped for two.

13 hours ago, 31BMSG said:

feel free to trade three items in my cache for one of yours, sometimes value doesn't mean monetary value.

Agreed.   :)

My niece went with me once when she was still small enough for sippy cups. 

She asked to look in my bag so she could "trade", and swapped most of the small stuff in my bag for a tiny, rubber frog.  

I didn't say a thing.

• Love 1

I've been a fortunate owner and haven't seen unfair trading (like putting 10 items in the box and a week later there's nothing in the box). I generally add a handful of trinkets and when I go back to check 3 or 4 months later about 75% of the stuff I leave is still there and there are a few new items.

It's not really about cost for me since generally people trade dollar store stuff. It's more about leaving stuff that might delight someone.  If something fancies a visitor and they must have it but didn't bring something to trade, they can give back by saying something nice about the cache and the item they took. Something like: "My daughter loved the pink bracelet. Thank you. The cache and contents are dry and in good shape."

That would be very rewarding. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

In the area I do 80% of my caching in, SWAG has mostly devolved to worthless trinkets or items just for children. I cant think of the last time I swapped for something. Years ago I started picking up gently used small, child friendly items at garage sales or flea markets for free or next to nothing and I just leave a few item in caches that are big enough.

Edited by RocTheCacheBox
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, DiegoAguiar said:

As Cerberus said, that's not an unwritten rule .

The written rule is clear : you swap evenly (or, if you are a generous person,  perhaps a little generously )  based on value, i.e. perceived cash price of the item(s) .

Each finder has to come to an estimate of value and decide on what is a fair swap. Individuals vary in how they value things and what their conscience allows.

Basing swap trading solely on number of items would allow "Took unactivated TB, left paperclip " , which is obviously unfair.

The 'treasure' in most caches is of no interest to me, but I carry a selection of small swaps (button compasses , individually packaged hand wipes , lego figures and some signature items I've made) which I will drop in good dry containers without necessarily taking anything in return..However,  if I came across , say, a nice fossil in a cache, I'd happily leave a combination of whatever stuff I had with me  which I felt was a reasonable fair trade. Like replacing found caches properly , not armchair logging virtuals, not stealing TBs etc etc., swag trading is up to the conscience and decency of the individual cacher.

And finally , the O.P. has found 9 caches so far, and could be worrying about a problem that may never happen , unless caches in Brazil are packed with big valuable swaps ...

• Upvote 1