Log book contents?

Geospycatchers

Hi, we are just getting started hiding our first geocache.  So far, all the ones we've found have logs that just have space for the username and date - and that seems to be the only requirment.  But is it okay toa also leave a space for "comments" too, in the log booklet we plan to use?I know my kids will get a kick of reading comments when we check on it from time to time - but I wanted to be sure it's okay to do.

4 minutes ago, Geospycatchers said:

Hi, we are just getting started hiding our first geocache.  So far, all the ones we've found have logs that just have space for the username and date - and that seems to be the only requirment.  But is it okay toa also leave a space for "comments" too, in the log booklet we plan to use?I know my kids will get a kick of reading comments when we check on it from time to time - but I wanted to be sure it's okay to do.

You sure can! People might not know about it or respect your intentions with the log book. Don't be too disappointed if you only get names and dates. 

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Geospycatchers said:

... But is it okay toa also leave a space for "comments" too, in the log booklet we plan to use?I know my kids will get a kick of reading comments when we check on it from time to time - but I wanted to be sure it's okay to do.

Sounds good !   :)    Rare that new folks think this way these days. 

Years ago here, many thought of this as a hobby, and not only left lengthy logs, but drawings, poems and pressed flowers in log books.

Things were different then,  not as many caches, but many in unique areas and/or great views.  Made you want to hang out a while...

Some of those people we've met on trail, and even though they only have tiny logs to scribble in now, they still rarely log online.

Now that many think of this closer to a game (and numbers rule :-), we're sometimes lucky to even see that username and date on it. 

When "TFTC" is on the online log, how much time do you thing was spent on the cache's ?   ;)

Don't expect many to take the time,  and the presentation of your hide will decide if some wanna spend an extra minute or two. 

• Helpful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Sounds good !   :)    Rare that new folks think this way these days. 

Years ago here, many thought of this as a hobby, and not only left lengthy logs, but drawings, poems and pressed flowers in log books.

Things were different then,  not as many caches, but many in unique areas and/or great views.  Made you want to hang out a while...

Some of those people we've met on trail, and even though they only have tiny logs to scribble in now, they still rarely log online.

Now that many think of this closer to a game (and numbers rule :-), we're sometimes lucky to even see that username and date on it. 

When "TFTC" is on the online log, how much time do you thing was spent on the cache's ?   ;)

Don't expect many to take the time,  and the presentation of your hide will decide if some wanna spend an extra minute or two. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer.   I didn't realize that was how it used to be, so we will be happy to provide space in the book for comments too.  My kids particularly want to hide regular size+ caches, because there are so few of them in our area.   We're up for the challenge to find great spots that will last for years to come!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3