Walt Disney World Geocaching

IntrepidDreamer

Dear Geocachers,

Hi! As most of you know, I'm MusicalJacob. I had a very successful geocaching/national park/relaxation trip in August to Charlotte, North Carolina. In Late December, I will be off to Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida, with my family for 5 or 6 days. Since my Charlotte thread was so popular, I'm opening a Walt Disney World thread.

QUESTIONS:

1. What are some fun geocaches in the park?

2. What are some precautions I should take when geocaching in the park?

3. Anything else?

Thank you so much,

MusicalJacob

Baltimore, Maryland

--------------------------------------------------

"Elderberry wine. Hmmph. Haven't had elderberry wine since I was a boy..." - Arsenic and Old Lace

This isn't against you at all, MusicalJacob. PLEASE don't take offense.

I am sure there are plenty of virtuals at WDW. As a former employee of the Mouse House, though, I would like to discourage anyone from placing a cache on WDW property. Anywhere on their 46 square miles of pristine marsh and commercial land.

One thing to remember is that WDW is all PRIVATE LAND, and they would never ever grant permission to place a cache out there unless they could charge $50 admission. Physical caches should not be in that park at all.

I'm all for virtuals, though. A guy out here made a great multicache using virtuals in the park and a physical outside the park. See Legacy of Six Flags Over Texas for a great example.

Sorry about the vent. Maybe I'm just jealous 'cause I left Disney BG (Before geocaching). icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

This isn't against you at all, MusicalJacob. PLEASE don't take offense.

I am sure there are plenty of virtuals at WDW. As a former employee of the Mouse House, though, I would like to discourage anyone from placing a cache on WDW property. Anywhere on their 46 square miles of pristine marsh and commercial land.

One thing to remember is that WDW is all PRIVATE LAND, and they would never ever grant permission to place a cache out there unless they could charge $50 admission. Physical caches should not be in that park at all.

I'm all for virtuals, though. A guy out here made a great multicache using virtuals in the park and a physical outside the park. See Legacy of Six Flags Over Texas for a great example.

Sorry about the vent. Maybe I'm just jealous 'cause I left Disney BG (Before geocaching). icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

OK. That wasn't really what I was looking for, but thanks anyway. I like to keep my threads on topic. If you wish to vent about Disney, open a new thread, please. This thread is SPECIFICALLY for information on geocaches in Disney World.

Cheery O,

MusicalJ.

"Elderberry wine. Hmmph. Haven't had elderberry wine since I was a boy..." - Arsenic and Old Lace

On topic, regarding geocaches in Walt Disney World, I have no idea since the last time I was there was in the mid-80's.

Hope that helps. icon_razz.gif

Seriously, VentureForth was just trying to add a bit of information about Disney, for all our good. We (geocachers) already get emails from police departments, land managers and bomb squads, we sure don't need any from Disney asking us why we have abandoned property on their land.

Totally on-topic if you ask me.

I'm sure if anyone else has good information about Disney, they'll throw that in, too. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. Sorry I can't help.

Jamie

On topic, regarding geocaches in Walt Disney World, I have no idea since the last time I was there was in the mid-80's.

Hope that helps. icon_razz.gif

Seriously, VentureForth was just trying to add a bit of information about Disney, for all our good. We (geocachers) already get emails from police departments, land managers and bomb squads, we sure don't need any from Disney asking us why we have abandoned property on their land.

Totally on-topic if you ask me.

I'm sure if anyone else has good information about Disney, they'll throw that in, too. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. Sorry I can't help.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by MusicalJacob:

QUESTIONS:

1. What are some fun geocaches in the park?

2. What are some precautions I should take when geocaching in the park?

3. Anything else?

been there, done them and had a blast!

answers

#1 since I did all the parks I looked for them all, most are virtuals.

#2 I was a bit nurvous about taking in GPS with security doing bag checks, but with my (pda, camera,gps,gobs of pins) had no problems at all.

#3 do some pin traiding too.

how4.gif No matter where you go... There you are!

NTGA member

I went to the Orland area this summer and did some Disney world caching, check out the one next to the Rock and Roller coaster then do the roller coaster, it kicks butt!!! I also rented a car to find more. I left a travel bug that is still out there. It is Pluto, see if you can find it.

Don