Arkansas State Parks and Geocaching

bspeng

I have been conatcted and asked to remove (and archive) my cache placement by the Arkansas State Parks:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20297

I don't exactly know whether or not this is a Hot Springs centric issue or not.

I was told that the "geocaching issue" was being reviewed and discussed by the Arkansas State PArk department at this time.

I'm leaving out the participants because (a) I don't want the friendlies put at risk or (:D the unfriendlies tormented. If you wish to declare your support of geocaching with the Arkansas State Parks, go to the trouble of locating your own contact and discuss in a civilized manner.

This situation was(is) this: a ranger borrowed a friend's gps and went out to find my cache for the fun ot it. there was a favorable tricket-trade. the ranger simply reported to superiors how much fun this was and what a good way for bringing families to the state parks. the rest you can guess...

I'm posting my replies:

(upon being asked to remove the cache)

Dear ...;

I'm not going to be back for a while...

i know these things get bureaucratic before they get better... please

collect the cache and hang on to it...

i live in Illinois.

my dad lives in Diamondhead (Arkansas, near Hot Springs)... with my mother passing away in April, i've

been down there on an irregular basis... i just got back and won't be down

there for several months. I travel, I use geocaching to find interesting

areas in the the various areas I visit. While in Arkansas, I used

geocaching as a way to relieve to stress and sadness of recent events.

It's healthy, very good-natured fun.

i'm not a botanist, but, i did not see anything particularity sensitive in

the immediate area...

and aside from the few knuckleheads that continue to put pez dispensers (is

it really food?) and pocket knifes in cache, most geocachers are VERY

familiar with the concerns of park managers (except for the asking for

permission thingy). if you've been participating long, then you know

this...

Even those without children realize that geocaching is a kid-friendly

activity... the pocket knifes are simply "boy-scouty", not weaponry. And

are often removed by most knowledgeable players... i do.

the likely player is educated, has children, environmentally concerned,

financially able to toss away $100-$400 on a gizmo(gps), and has enough

"smarts" to know how to use one (and a computer). We just don't have lots

of problems with geo-hoodlums!

The reality is that a visitor is much more likely to be injured walking to

the falls on the "approved" path, stepping on a broken beer bottle in the

water at the beach, or getting snake bit taking a pee off the trail than

having somebody planting something "dangerous" in my tupperware. seriously.

By the way, when I placed this I continued on the trail ultimately to the

falls... despite the number of groups and individuals that passed it, I was

the one who retrieved the discarded, damaged baby stroller from that area,

carried it to the trailhead and discarded in the trash

second reply to followup email:

if, by chance, they let the cache stay, I would like to update the cache page with a more complete description. Normally, i plagiarize this from the park brochure, but, i misplaced it. Email some text from your brochure, include any special notations like "don't trample the flowers, the ferns, the frogs", etc. I sometimes (mistakenly) assume everyone knows this.

i'll wait until Sunday and then I'll archive it (with explanation). I'll extend whatever "olive branch" that may soften hard feelings.

Although the usual geocacher gets a certain tingling for knowing something about a area that nobody else does (likes it's a special secret), we (geocachers) do not want to be portrayed as "outlaws".

i understand your need for stewardship of this place. I also think that part of your mission is to provide "edu-tainment" to the people of Arkansas (and others).

Placing a cache is simply my way of saying "come see this, this is a really neat place." Its not really about the trinkets. There's a lot of TNLN (took nothing, left nothing) finds. The trinkets are simply a way to engage children in hiking and nature.

Sorry about the rambling, I'm just frustrated and afraid that this activity will receive broad-brush rejection.

brian spengler

aka bspeng

Many State Parks have rules about any activity in the park. Justification is that they are trying to protect it for everyone, so if your views conflict with someone elses they need to make a fair (in your states legislative view) ruling. Since I'm in NC, and a former park ranger I've been very interested in this. They recently made a rule and now caches may be located in NC parks. You may want to look at the discusion at http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000977683&m=7710977683 (you may have to cut and paste that). Pros and cons to everything, but I can say that the park folks usually do the best they can (even when I don't always agree. Why can't there be a park just for me that prohibits anything I don't want, and allows everything I do want!!!!) Sorry, my sarcastic side slipped out. icon_rolleyes.gif

Many State Parks have rules about any activity in the park. Justification is that they are trying to protect it for everyone, so if your views conflict with someone elses they need to make a fair (in your states legislative view) ruling. Since I'm in NC, and a former park ranger I've been very interested in this. They recently made a rule and now caches may be located in NC parks. You may want to look at the discusion at http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000977683&m=7710977683 (you may have to cut and paste that). Pros and cons to everything, but I can say that the park folks usually do the best they can (even when I don't always agree. Why can't there be a park just for me that prohibits anything I don't want, and allows everything I do want!!!!) Sorry, my sarcastic side slipped out. icon_rolleyes.gif

Although I live in the Dallas area, I wrote to an Arkansas state park official after reading the original post in this thread. I had at least some selfish interest in seeing geocaching thrive in Arkansas, since we had planned a fall trip to several Arkansas state parks.

I received the following response. I am not listing the person's name or e-mail, because he was afraid that he would be inundated with other e-mail. However, for those of you that live in Arkansas or for those of us that hope to soon be caching in Arkansas, this seemed to be very encouraging news. I encourage those in Arkansas to work with their local officials. It sounds like they will be trying to develop a policy acceptable to all. Here is the reply that I received:

Hi xxxxx,

Just wanted to let you know that Arkansas State Parks is going to allow geocaching. The commission wants to come up with a policy governing it in the parks. My guess is that they will want the geocacher (?) to contact the park Supt., etc. and advise him where he wants to put the cache. Obviously there is a protection issue with the resource and that is what we are after here, not banning it...the commission thinks it is cool and wants to allow it. They just have to have a policy to govern it on our land.

There are numerous, and I mean NUMEROUS archaeological sites at Lake Catherine State Park. There are areas where rare wildflowers bloom and other sensitive areas, and obviously we don't want traffic in those areas. Other parks have similar situations, and I don't think that if it is allowed and sancitioned by the parks that it will be too much trouble for the cacher to talk to the park management staff where they want to put it to assure that they will not unknowingly place it in an area that the park is trying to protect. Geocaching seems to be a very "green" activity, and I would think that geocachers would not want to disturb an ancient native american settlement site by unknowingly placing a cache in the middle of it, or destroying a small area where the last remaining royal catchfly blooms in the park.

I wrote our director several emails hopefully to inform him more about geocaching and to defend its virtue. I might have overstepped my bounds, but he indicated that we WERE going to allow it, but with a policy that would govern it on our land. He did say that I was going to be on the review committee for the policy, so you have an ally on the committee. It is going to happen...heck we might even be promoters of the sport/hobby. It is a new use for park land and that is a good thing!!

In fact, when things get lined out, I could show a couple of geocachers some places off the trails that are wonderful places to put a cache where few go, and so could other managers.

Please, if you would, let folks know what is going on. Arkansas State Parks is going to allow geocaching. The commissioners voted to allow it. We are in the process of a drafting a policy that will govern it on State Park Lands that will allow it, but will also protect the resources and antiquities that exist within the boundaries.

As soon as it happens, I will let Brian Know and the cache will be placed back active.

I appreciate your comments!!!

Alchemist2000