Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intarsiabox

My Lists in Garmin GPS unit

Recommended Posts

I've been using a cell phone to go caching but had issues in areas with poor reception so I bought a Garmin GPSMAPS 64s. I made a list in the geocaching website and named the list and sent it off to my gps unit with no issues. When I go into the geocaching page on the gps unit the caches I sent are all there but they are just on the top of the list of all the others that came preloaded. As I make new lists I'm not going to remember all the names of the caches I sent so is there a way to sort out the caches by the list name in the Garmin units or will it always just display every single one of the caches? Thank-you!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Intarsiabox said:

I've been using a cell phone to go caching but had issues in areas with poor reception so I bought a Garmin GPSMAPS 64s. I made a list in the geocaching website and named the list and sent it off to my gps unit with no issues. When I go into the geocaching page on the gps unit the caches I sent are all there but they are just on the top of the list of all the others that came preloaded. As I make new lists I'm not going to remember all the names of the caches I sent so is there a way to sort out the caches by the list name in the Garmin units or will it always just display every single one of the caches? Thank-you!

 

All I do after sending the List to my handheld GPS is to also load the List on my phone (download it for offline use).  That way I have just the caches I want to hunt today, organized and highlighted on the phone, and also I have the whole townsful of caches (including the List) on the GPS.  I use the phone to decide which cache to hunt, but I go find the cache using the GPS with the phone safely tucked away.  Plus I might grab a cache along the way that's not in the List.  That works fine for me.

Share this post


Link to post

Can you delete all those preloaded ones? (Their information is likely VERY out of date.) Then you would have only the caches you want to hunt.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the responses! I will be travelling to the southern US this summer and don't know exactly where I'll be so I'm going to leave the preloaded ones on for now. I will only have my phone for internet access at the hotels so I can make some lists for the day but I don't think I can transfer the lists to the GPS. I guess the other option is just download everything in the region!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, K13 said:

Can you delete all those preloaded ones? (Their information is likely VERY out of date.) Then you would have only the caches you want to hunt.

 

Good catch!  The caches pre-loaded from the factory are out of date, probably a bad idea to use without checking the web site.  If they are "GGZ" files, they may be in the "Garmin/GGZ" folder.

 

Another thing I do when I'm hunting a few select caches is decidedly low-tech.  I still load my GPS with all the (updated) caches in town, but I decide which caches I'm hunting and in what sequence, and write them in my Indiana Jones Style Journal.  It also helps keep track of TBs I pick up or drop.  No phone needed, just the notebook and the GPS.

 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Intarsiabox said:

Thanks for the responses! I will be travelling to the southern US this summer and don't know exactly where I'll be so I'm going to leave the preloaded ones on for now. I will only have my phone for internet access at the hotels so I can make some lists for the day but I don't think I can transfer the lists to the GPS. I guess the other option is just download everything in the region!

 

If you know where the hotel is, you know where you'll be. :D

 

Maybe as the date gets closer and you finalize plans, you can then load PQs of various cities along the route, filtered for caches you'd prefer and that you'll have time to hunt.  There are also some cool ways to make advance PQs of "caches along a route" if you know the routes.

 

The factory pre-loaded caches on a Garmin are few and far between.  It's unlikely that many of them will even be in view along any given travel route.  Beyond about 60 miles, caches aren't even automatically listed.

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, kunarion said:

 

If you know where the hotel is, you know where you'll be. :D

 

Maybe as the date gets closer and you finalize plans, you can then load PQs of various cities along the route, filtered for caches you'd prefer and that you'll have time to hunt.  There are also some cool ways to make advance PQs of "caches along a route" if you know the routes.

 

I never thought about the filters, I've just went after whatever was in the area, thanks! I'll be staying in New Orleans (French Quarter) but travelling outside of the area most of the time. The French Quarter seems to be mostly virtual caches due to theft and how busy it is and I don't have a lot of interest in those

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Intarsiabox said:

I'll be staying in New Orleans (French Quarter) but travelling outside of the area most of the time. The French Quarter seems to be mostly virtual caches due to theft and how busy it is and I don't have a lot of interest in those

 

Here's the Southeastern Geocaching Forum, where you may ask about caching around New Orleans and beyond.  Maybe you can get ideas for some excellent caches and choice areas to load as Lists or PQs in advance. 

 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

 

Here's the Southeastern Geocaching Forum, where you may ask about caching around New Orleans and beyond.  Maybe you can get ideas for some excellent caches and choice areas to load as Lists or PQs in advance. 

 

 

Thanks again! I posted on their forum so I'll see what comes out of it

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...