Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rricci

Spoilers in logs

Weren't you, at one time, able to leave spoilers in logs? If I remember correctly, you encase the spoilers in brackets, i.e. ]the brackets are in reverse here, so the system won't hide this[.  Is this gone?

As long as I've been caching, spoilers have been considered "bad form", even if encrypted.  I can't remember the exact year, but the notion of spoilers was incorporated into the TOU under the Restrictions portion:

Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.

The ability to encrypt a log entry is still available, but I think you have to submit it first, go back and edit it, with the brackets that you mentioned.  I tested it n one of my own entries and it still works.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rricci said:

Weren't you, at one time, able to leave spoilers in logs? If I remember correctly, you encase the spoilers in brackets, i.e. ]the brackets are in reverse here, so the system won't hide this[.  Is this gone?

You can still encrypt your log,   A simple click in the box.  Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted.

• Helpful 2

1 hour ago, Touchstone said:

As long as I've been caching, spoilers have been considered "bad form", even if encrypted. 

Same here.  Guess I don't understand why someone would want to intentionally leave spoilers.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

You can still encrypt your log,   A simple click in the box.  Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted.

Interestingly, I just tested this.  Log text encrypted, with some text in the middle unencrypted by brackets, as a Write Note on one of my caches.  The log notification I received did not show the encryption, even though the encryption showed on the cache page itself.

The non-bracketed log text was encrypted on the cache page and the log page, but not in the email notification I received. Not sure if that's just because I'm the CO, but if someone else posted a log with encrypted text then I wouldn't immediately realize that it's encrypted.