Trackable Codes

PaulandHeather666

5 minutes ago, paulcarey243 said:

What is the "Trackable Design" ? I mean Im just looking to get the codes..? I apparently have to upload a design..

Yes, you design need to be aproved. Read de FAQs about trackables, there is all you need know to make your own coins.

It literally says nothing about the tracking design though. I mean can someone explain exactly what that is? Like do I need to create a coin design? or is it like just a logo for something.. 

Im just really confused why does it require a design and what is the design for when all I want is just the codes themselves ? Im not ordering the coins.. Ill be making and using my laser engraver to design my own coins. Im

Im confused. I want to make my own but im not understanding this

3 minutes ago, PaulandHeather666 said:

Like do I need to create a coin design?

Yes.

If you want to have a trackable, you can choose between a regular Travel Bug, than you can attached anything to it, without any approval from Geocaching HQ... or if you want to create a geocoin, you will supply the design for approval. Then you can produce it by your own or in a minting factory.

Usually the geocoin will have also a "personalized" icon, so you need to provide it also. In this case, you need to purchase a minimum of 50 codes.

In a simple way... a TBs is common, while a geocoin is unique. "Your" geocoin.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PaulandHeather666 said:

It literally says nothing about the tracking design though. I mean can someone explain exactly what that is? Like do I need to create a coin design? or is it like just a logo for something.. 

Im just really confused why does it require a design and what is the design for when all I want is just the codes themselves ? Im not ordering the coins.. Ill be making and using my laser engraver to design my own coins.

Much might be explained in Trackable code orders.   Click on the "trackable code guidelines".

You need to have your trackable's design approved by HQ.  

- This is a family-friendly hobby,  so no nudity, profanity, or offensive material. 

You also need your coins to at least say "Track on Geocaching.com" and have the site's logo somewhere on them.

- This directs cachers  that it is, indeed, a trackable listed in Geocaching.com..

We decided on having ours made by an approved vendor rather than go through all that.   :)

Look at the coin currently in your possession for a rough idea on what's needed. 

Edited by cerberus1
spllelinng
4 minutes ago, PaulandHeather666 said:

Does it really matter or not really?

I guess not.

If you decide to produce a large amount of geocoins... 300/500/1000 to sell, the buyers and collecters will expect to get an own icon, but for small quantities for personal use, it is not so important.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 2
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, PaulandHeather666 said:

Im just really confused why does it require a design and what is the design for when all I want is just the codes themselves ? Im not ordering the coins.. Ill be making and using my laser engraver to design my own coins.

Whatever you are engraving would be the "design".  The look of the Geocoin.  I've never made a set of Geocoins (all the same design).  I always have a new idea to make.  So I use the number from a purchased tag such as a TB dogtag, or I attach the tag.  There are often trackable tags on clearance sale for much less than The Travel Bug, and they will have a special icon.  But they tend to be on clearance for a good reason. ;)

If you engrave a "coin" yourself, be sure there's enough information on it that finders know, regardless of where they find it, that it's a trackable item to log "at geocaching.com", and be sure the tracking number is gonna be easy to read even after the item has been rattling around in moldy cache boxes for a while.

• Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, PaulandHeather666 said:

Does it really matter or not really?

34 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

I guess not.

If you decide to produce a large amount of geocoins... 300/500/1000 to sell, the buyers and collecters will expect to get an own icon, but for small quantities for personal use, it is not so important.

Yep.  :)

We had some sig coins made and realized folks would probably want that unique icon.

Cerberus on one side, map of the five rivers of Hades on the other.  The tiny "you are here" dot folks think funny...

- We give them away at events or on-trail, and often drop them in caches for an incentive to get folks to walk. 

They'll belong to them.

If I wanted to make just a couple myself to send out again, I'd simply recycle the code from something in our "missing" list.

If someone complained that whatever I made is a simple Travel Bug icon,  I'd say something like "I see it didn't bother you enough to remove your log...".  :D