"The Logbook" geocaching.com's weekly email's recent caches

Can anyone tell me what qualifies as a recent cache? I am sent a list of over 400 recent caches in The Logbook. I quit looking at it. Some of the  caches date back to 2004 or earlier - not too recent in my book. I thought maybe it is "recently found", but then I found a cache in the list that is almost two years lonely. Some may be more. I made a very quick search. If is is a list of caches near me why isn't it named that. I could use a list of recent caches in case I missed one in my notifications. It happens. Just wondering.

It's just a link providing you with the search results for caches near your home location, sorted by placed date descending. The further down the list you go, the older the caches get, and if no new ones have been placed recently, even the ones at the top of the list may not meet your expectations of "new".

• Upvote 1

You can see it in the URL, it's caches within 30 miles of your home coords, ranked on dated placed.  This may or may not actually include anything particularly "recent", nor does it exclude found, or owned.

oops, edited as Moun10Bike was posting at the same time I was.

If you want a list of  recent caches, you can do that with a pocket query.  Center around home coords (or work coords, or both, in two different queries), ask for cache types of interest, ask for a radius that's useful for you, and ask for "date placed" range of the last week or weeks.  You must change the date placed each time you use this. It will return what I expect you're looking for. You can merely preview it, you don't have to set it to run.

You've been caching long enough to remember when the list of new that came in the email was this PQ output. The site ran this PQ each week for each member who asked for the newsletter. 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1