Is a Pub a Pub?

Max and 99

My success rate in hearing back from officers after I've sent them a question about a category, is about 15%. When I do hear back, sometimes the answer completely befuddles me, and I wonder if they read my message at all. Once recently an officer I emailed a question to had reviewed a waymark, mentioned that they had gotten an email from me, but lost it. Could I resend it? I searched and finally found it, re-sent the message and (surprise!) never heard back.

This question is NOT in regard to any question I have submitted to an officer of the category. I am simply asking for help in understanding the category. I've scanned some of the waymarks approved, and I'm not sure anything here in the U.S. fits the description. Just because it's called a Pub, is it a Pub by the category standards? I really wanted to try out a new pub in my area, but after checking out the menu I discovered there was ZERO food items I could eat. Lots of liquor options I'd love to try,  but I should probably have some food with it. I'll keep looking for others, though.

Can anyone clarify the category for me? I don't think most of the "Pubs" in the U.S. qualify, but I don't know!

Thanks for your help.

28 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

I'm an officer in the pubs and inns category. We will accepts pubs, bars, and other restaurants so long as they serve alcohol as their main attraction to customers.

Hmmmm. Sounds like some around here do fit in the category. The alcohol is my attraction to try them out. ?

I'll get looking.

Thanks for the feedback! 

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Hmmmm. Sounds like some around here do fit in the category. The alcohol is my attraction to try them out. ?

I'll get looking.

Thanks for the feedback! 

I would think BJ's by Quail Springs would fit the bill. They classify themselves as a brewpub, but they don't make their own beer, they just re-sell brews from microbreweries and the like. I'm thinking of posting Tapwerks in Bricktown.

Edited by vulture1957
11 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I would think BJ's by Quail Springs would fit the bill. They classify themselves as a brewpub, but they don't make their own beer, they just re-sell brews from microbreweries and the like. I'm thinking of posting Tapwerks in Bricktown.

While we're talking pubs and brew, I really want to visit a pub that is part of the collaboration selling beer from a recipe that 100% benefits the CA wildfire victims. If anyone knows the link, can you share it here? 

I searched on what you wrote a got lots of hits.

This next bit, from Blue Ridge Communications contains a piece of the info you want. Search any of 1,200 breweries who are brewing Resilience IPA. As for pubs serving it, that's another story. I guess just call around and ask for it (Resilience IPA).

The wildfires in northern California caused over 40 deaths, and countless acres of damage. The Sierra Nevada Brewing Company wanted to find a way to get the entire country involved in the rebuild, so they made a beer called Resilience IPA. They've sent that recipe to over 1,200 breweries across the county to raise money for their Camp Fire Relief Fund, and 100% of proceeds from this special IPA will go towards it.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
On 12/23/2018 at 11:29 AM, vulture1957 said:

Now I'm even more confused, because today I learned there's a category for Breweries.

So, IronMonk in Stillwater maker their own beer, but they don't serve food (they bring in Food Trucks). They would be a Brewerie, correct? I call dibs!!!!

And Bricktown Brewery in Edmond specializes in local beer, but they also serve food. So they'd fit under the Pub category? I'm fairly confident their main draw is the alcohol.

Do I  have that right?

I haven't heard about Iron Monk. But in OKC area, Bricktown Brewery and Belle Isle, Royal Barvarian would be brewpubs (brew their beer to serve in their restaurant.) Anthem, Stonecloud, Roughtail, Twisted Spike, Angry Scotsman and Elk Valley would be breweries (they brew beer, may have tastings, but do not sell the beer in their own restaurant or "tavern".) I did Coop as a brewpub because of some wording in Breweries about them "selling beer to customers." but then, more research seems to be OK with the tastings as long as it's not like an attached bar/tavern.

Battered Boar would be your closest brewery (14700 Metro Plaza Blvd suite f, Edmond, OK 73013)

Edited by vulture1957
17 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I haven't heard about Iron Monk. But in OKC area, Bricktown Brewery and Belle Isle, Royal Barvarian would be brewpubs (brew their beer to sere in their restaurant.) Anthem, Stonecloud, Roughtail, Twisted Spike, Angry Scotsman and Elk Valley would be breweries (they brew beer, may have tastings, but do not sell the beer in their own restaurant or "tavern".) I did Coop as a brewpub because of some wording in Breweries about them "selling beer to customers." but then, more research seems to be OK with the tastings as long as it's not like an attached bar/tavern.

Battered Boar would be your closest brewery (14700 Metro Plaza Blvd suite f, Edmond, OK 73013)

Clear as mud.

Oh my gosh, I didn't know there's a THIRD similar category. Holy Moly. I'm about to throw in the towel.

I think I get that Iron Monk is a brewery (they brew and sell their own beer, but don't serve food). I'm planning on taking the tour this week.

and...

Bricktown Brewery in Edmond  is a brewpub (they brew their own beer, serve it in the satellite restaurant, and serve their own food).

Thanks for your help.

Iron Monk, the brewery, would be a brewery. Their tap room, which seems to be separate from the brewery, would be a brewpub as they sell beer that they (the company) brew. This is what I take from their website, at least. (2 locations, 2 Waymarks, 2 categories) They don't need to sell food to fit the category, just the brew (read the brewpub requirements, food is not mentioned).

A brewery brews but doesn't sell for consumption on site, though they may GIVE small amounts as tastings.

A brewpub sells beer for consumption on site that it brews.

A pub sells for consumption on site but doesn't brew.

It's simpler than you're making it. Often as not, the name itself will indicate which of the three a particular establishment is.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Bricktown Brewery in Edmond  is a brewpub (they brew their own beer, serve it in the satellite restaurant, and serve their own food). 

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure if the Bricktown in Edmond actually brews their beer, or if it's brewed in Bricktown.  I think Bricktown has a bar at Remington Park. They don't actually brew, just a bar that sells the stuff made in Bricktown.