Public Profile

Folkfen

This is my first forum posting and hope this is on the right part of the forum. No doubt someone will help and put me right if there is a more appropriate place to post 

I have a strange problem on our public profile that I’m hoping someone can help with. Some of the links such as CM stats and others are not showing properly. The linked pictures are just loading as very long stretched images. A few are OK and others such as My Geocaching Profile stats aren’t showing at all. I haven’t done anything to the settings so have no idea why it’s all gone haywire. I’m really hoping someone can help or I will have to delete going on for 6 years worth of work on the profile. One of our own puzzles requires access to our profile to work, hence my concern. As multiple different sources are involved it seems that this must be a GC issue as they are the only common link. 

I emailed the powers that be and they suggested I log out, remove cookies, and log back in. I did that and no change. They also said if that didn’t work to change browser. That also didn’t work. I’ve had no further help so I guess they have washed their hands of of the problem. It looks as if I’m going to have to bite the bullet and delete everything and start again. Unless someone can help. 

Someone on Facebook suggested turning off my add blocker. I did and again no change. Turning off and on again. No change. Friends have checked the profile and are seeing the same as us so it’s not just my iPad and PC playing up.  

Thank you. 

As requested. I use Safari but have tried on Chrome with the same results. 

Edited by Folkfen
More information.

At least part of the problem is caused by the way you specify the height and width of the images. When you specify height or width as percentages, the percentage refers to the height or width of the available space. And height and width are calculated separately. So if you have

< img width="50%" height="50%" ...>

then the image is going to be displayed at half the width of the available display area, and half the height of the available display area. For a long scrolling page with lots of content, half the height can be really really long. So you end up with images that have a reasonable width, but are stretched to unreasonable heights.

And if you have three of those images, one above the other, then you've specified images for a total height of 150% of the height of the page, but each of the three images wants half of that. Who knows what the browser is going to do with an impossible request like that.

Your best bet, if you're scaling badge images with percentage sizes like this, is to specify only the width. Leave the height completely unspecified, and the browser will scale the image in a way that preserves its normal proportions.

• Helpful 1

Sorry I don’t know how to reply to a particular posting. Thank you niraD. There wasn’t a problem before but I am aware changes have been made. I will have a play. After all I can’t really make things worse! Most of the icons don’t add anything to the profile they are just vanity. I am coming round to the idea of deleting everything and starting again. I just panicked a bit and over reacted as I was concerned about the puzzle which is now disabled until this is sorted. Of course anyone who has seen my posts here or on Facebook will now know how to solve it.