Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
CAVinoGal

Drafts not clearing after posting on website

Recommended Posts

Since September 28 (likely when I installed the most recent app update released September 26) my drafts in the app don't clear once I post my log on the website.  Here's my typical "workflow" - 

  • I use the Geocaching app to locate, search for, and hopefully find a cache.  I log the results as a Draft, making a few quick notes about the find.
  • Once I get home, I log on to the geocaching.com website, go to the Drafts on the left side of my Dashboard, and click on the draft I want to log.
  • The edit window opens, I flesh out the details of the find, open the trackables drop down list to visit or otherwise log any trackables, and hit Submit.

 

I hit "Back to Drafts" to continue logging the other drafts, if any, I created for that day. The drafts are then gone from the list on the website.

 

In my app, though, I have all the drafts from Sept. 28 through today.  Prior to the 28th, once I logged from my drafts on the website, the app would sync and I wouldn't see them in the app or on the website.  The app also shows a blue exclamation point for all the caches I have found since 9/28, rather than the smilie.  The website shows the smilie. 

 

Sometimes there would be a delay in the app showing the smilies; but this is going on for over a week now with no syncing happening.  I've restarted the phone, and the app, logged off and back on to the website - my Find count is updated in the app, but the map has blue exclamation marks that are increasing every day, and my drafts folders is getting full!  Anyone else seeing this?

 

Android app, version 6.12.1

Google Pixel (original) running Android 9

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

the map has blue exclamation marks that are increasing every day, and my drafts folders is getting full!  Anyone else seeing this?

 

I'm seeing the same thing on my HTC U11 on version 6.12.1, after finding four caches yesterday using the App.  I don't mind the drafts remaining, since that's more like how a Garmin handles "drafts" (field notes). Could be worse. They could automagically disappear from both the App and web site, and I'd much prefer this failsafe where I have to delete them myself.  But I'd like bulk delete, and an indicator showing which App drafts have been completed as logs on the site.

 

I was able to delete the drafts individually.  These were urban caches, I usually cache with a handheld GPS instead, so I can't say how long it's been like this.

 

I deleted/installed the App just now.  No difference.

 

 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

I'm seeing the same thing on my HTC U11 on version 6.12.1, after finding four caches yesterday using the App.  I don't mind the drafts remaining, since that's more like how a Garmin handles "drafts" (field notes). Could be worse. They could automagically disappear from both the App and web site, and I'd much prefer this failsafe where I have to delete them myself.  But I'd like bulk delete, and an indicator showing which App drafts have been completed as logs on the site.

 

I was able to delete the drafts individually. 

 

Once you delete the drafts, do the icons on the map update to sync with the website?  As I said in my OP, my Find count is accurate (matches the website) in the app, but it doesn't match up with the map.

 

**Edit - I just deleted the oldest of the drafts, and the icon updated to a smilie.  I double checked to make sure my "Found it" log was there (it was), then deleted the draft.  OK--I can delete them as I go once I know I've actually logged it.  It's just an extra step I haven't had to take before.  I could get used to doing that, as you said, kunarion, as a failsafe ensuring the log is done.

 

I wonder if this is an intentional change?  It seems to have developed with the latest update to the app.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Update info

Share this post


Link to post

Hello all!

 

Thanks for reporting this. This is definitely unintended behavior. Something must be up with the sync coming back down to the app to let it know a draft has been deleted or posted.

 

We are taking a look!

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, geo_android said:

Thanks for reporting this. This is definitely unintended behavior. Something must be up with the sync coming back down to the app to let it know a draft has been deleted or posted.

 

We are taking a look!

 

Thanks!  I just logged 4 caches on the website from my drafts made earlier in the day, 3 Finds and 1 DNF.  The "drafts" are still on my phone, and the phone map shows exclamation points; my Find count is accurate on the phone and website, the website shows smilies (or a frownie, for the DNF).  

 

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website.  That's fine - I figured once drafts reached a certain threshold they stopped showing in the app.  But it could get confusing - my website profile/dashboard shows 4 drafts (March, April, May, August notes on caches), and my app shows 4 drafts all from today, that I have already logged on the website and are reflected in my Find count.  I can provide screenshots if needed.

Edited by CAVinoGal

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you everyone for reporting this.

 

You all should be seeing an update in the store for v6.13.0, sometime today, which fixes the bad draft behavior.

 

Again, thank you all for these posts. They were extremely helpful in reproducing and fixing this bug!

 

On 10/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website. 

 

Holler if they don't show up after the update to v6.13.0. They should still show up in the app if they have not been resolved in some way.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, geo_android said:

Thank you everyone for reporting this.

 

You all should be seeing an update in the store for v6.13.0, sometime today, which fixes the bad draft behavior.

 

Again, thank you all for these posts. They were extremely helpful in reproducing and fixing this bug!

 

 

Holler if they don't show up after the update to v6.13.0. They should still show up in the app if they have not been resolved in some way.

 

 

On my phone Google Play says the app was updated to version 6.13.0 thirteen hours ago.  Four lingering drafts are gone now.  I had already entered all the logs on the web site, so I can't test which get removed and which remain.  But it looks OK now.  Thanks! :)

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, geo_android said:

Thank you everyone for reporting this.

 

You all should be seeing an update in the store for v6.13.0, sometime today, which fixes the bad draft behavior.

 

Again, thank you all for these posts. They were extremely helpful in reproducing and fixing this bug!

 

On 10/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website. 

 

Holler if they don't show up after the update to v6.13.0. They should still show up in the app if they have not been resolved in some way.

 

Just saw this, and sure enough, there was an update to Geocaching.com.  I installed it, restarted the app and the 4 drafts on the website are now the same 4 drafts on app!  YAY!  We will be going out to find our COTD later this afternoon, and I plan to do my usual draft, then log later on the computer at home.  I will report back if it all works as it did before.

 

Thanks for the fast action on this - wish 'd mentioned it earlier, but I thought it would resolve itself!!  All is good now, as far as I can tell.

 

** EDIT ** - After logging my usual draft on the phone as we found the cache this afternoon, just got home after a meeting, and sat down to log the cache properly.  Posted it; the draft, as expected, disappeared from the drafts on the computer.  I then pulled out my phone and checked the app - all that's there is the 4 drafts that are also still on the website from previous caches that I am still working on.

 

This one is fixed, as far as I can tell.  It's all working for me!!  Thanks again @geo_android!

Edited by CAVinoGal

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website.  That's fine - I figured once drafts reached a certain threshold they stopped showing in the app.

 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:23 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I then pulled out my phone and checked the app - all that's there is the 4 drafts that are also still on the website from previous caches that I am still working on.

 

My saved drafts are slowly disappearing from the app, though they still show on the website.  I have 4 drafts on the website:

  • A multi (8 stage) - dated 3/8/18 that I am working on, the draft reminds me of my progress; I have posted a WN on the cache page but not from the draft.  I want to keep the draft.  It vanished form the app a few days ago (not sure exactly when)
  • A challenge I am working on - dated 4/28/18, and it disappeared from the phone app a day or two after the multi above dispapeared
  • A multi - dated 5/4/18 - it's still there on both the app and the website, so far
  • A traditional - dated 8/28/18 - still there on both the app and the website, so far

So, not a big deal, but the drafts were there, then they were not, then they were back, now they are vanishing.  As long as they stay on the website, I'm good.  It's just a bit confusing in the meantime.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

So, not a big deal, but the drafts were there, then they were not, then they were back, now they are vanishing.  As long as they stay on the website, I'm good.  It's just a bit confusing in the meantime.

 

Hello!

That is definitely odd behavior. I will see what we can do on our side to recreate your situation and get some data around what is happening.

Thank you for following up and letting me know that it is still happening.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×