contribute trails to openstreetmap

ruutherford

I thought I might share a little info and an app with this community.

OSMAND (OpenStreetMap Automated Navigation Directions) maintains an excellent crowd sourced map. You can peruse it at openstreetmap.org. They have current apps for both android, and iphone that can use offline vector maps. Vector maps are stored in a database, and infinitely zoom-able vs a raster map which is a picture of a paper map.

I frequently bounce back and forth between OSMAND and the geocaching app to double check where I am.

Not positive, but I think the Trails version of the Geocaching app maps take data from this source. If you find a trail that isn't on the map, you can add it yourself! here

W5LeSWel.png

Edited by ruutherford

Actually, OpenStreetMap (.org, "OSM" for short) is the source of the data.  OSMAND is a well-regarded app that uses OSM data.  There are many many users of OSM data, including maps.me, the stock Geocaching app (variously "Trails" and "Geocaching" map), and Locus Map (which is also a caching app).  Plus others I can't think of at the moment.

Countless thousands of us are working on improving the map, and I'm glad to see how usable it's become lately.

PS, shouldn't that screenshot above give credit to OSM, such as shown below?

e579b4ea-8c9f-42a4-b3a1-d10150991dd2_l.j

OSM in Locus Map

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Love 1