Y U No log Needs Maintenance?

22 minutes ago, PlantAKiss said:

I could have sworn that 3 NMs triggers a notice to a Reviewer for potential archiving. Maybe it’s an old rule that has gone away? Otherwise, couldn’t a cache rack up 5, 10, 15.... NMs and still be active? 

That functionality never existed. 

Reviewers have an easy means of being aware of "Needs Archived" logs.  But, finding caches with "Needs Maintenance" logs requires work.  The Health Score functionality makes this easier for us.

It's not all doom and gloom. This month I've logged two NMs; on the first one, the CO hadn't found any caches since 2015 and had last logged into the website over a year ago so I fully expected to be following it up with an NA in a couple of months, but no, they responded the next day, saying they'd check on it, and a couple of days later logged an OM saying the cache was back in action, so I was able to go back and make the find.

The second one had been smashed by vandals in an anti-cache rampage through southern Newcastle just days before I was hiking through the area, with the broken remains of the container and assorted swag scattered across the track but no sign of the logbook. After cleaning up the mess, I logged a WN with photos of what I'd found and added an NM, and a couple of days later got a thank-you note from the CO who archived the listing as he's no longer living close by.

So NMs still work, at least in these parts.

• Upvote 2

Wonder if this sort if thing is what leads people to avoid logging Needs Maintenance?

(Cache missing and disabled for over a year)

ArchiveArchive

26/08/2018

Seeing as how People still go looking for caches that are Disabled ...and THEN complain !!!! dont go looking for it !!!! Sadly one less caxxhe to bring people to this area !!!!!

(Cache missing and disabled for over a year)

ArchiveArchive

26/08/2018

Seeing as how (REDACTED) still went looking for a cache that was disabled ....and THEN COMPLAINED about it. ...itsgone.......dont look for caches that are disabled !!!!

1. Sadly one less caxxhe (sic) to bring people to this area !!!!!

2. don't look for caches that are disabled !!!!

Erm - the cache is supposed to bring people to the area but nobody should look for it because it's disabled? Not really bringing people to the area than, is it? Am I missing something? :lol:

• Upvote 2

A couple of examples I can think of of bad CO behaviour. The cache had not been found for six months with a string of DNFs, some mine. Finally I placed a NM. The CO contacted me telling me how rude I was not to contact them about this. Um, well, I did, first with the DNFs (and other people's) which they ignored, and then with the NM. Then I wrote a note (accidentally logging a find). The CO 'screamed' at me again in a log for trying to sneak in a find, and promptly deleted my log. I absolutely was not trying to log a find and was embarrassed for my mistake. Pointed out to me, I would have changed that immediately to the intended note. Other people have too had similar troubles with this rude CO. The reviewer came in and froze the cache, so no more logging was possible.

Another cache had not been found for a year and the CO had not been on the site for longer than that. There was a long string of DNFs. Finally I logged a NM. The CO came on the site and removed the NM, saying,  "I think the cache is still there." They hadn't checked; just thought the cache was still there. I logged another NM, so they couldn't get away without checking. The CO then told me off.  I was pleased another cacher wrote what basically meant they agreed with what I had done.

• Upvote 2