Where's in a name

You can search for any submitted waymarks in the "My Waymarks" tab. There, click the blue tab at the top. The one that says, "Search Criteria". School down until you see a checkmark checklist. Uncheck everyone except "Pending review" and "Sent to Group Vote". Find the waymark you want and leave the cursor on the exclamation point inside the yellow triangle. It'll tell you weather or not it's stuck in a group vote or stuck in the queue waiting for an officer. If stuck in group vote, an officer must visit the group page to dislodge it.

1 minute ago, bluesnote said:

You can search for any submitted waymarks in the "My Waymarks" tab. There, click the blue tab at the top. The one that says, "Search Criteria". School down until you see a checkmark checklist. Uncheck everyone except "Pending review" and "Sent to Group Vote". Find the waymark you want and leave the cursor on the exclamation point inside the yellow triangle. It'll tell you weather or not it's stuck in a group vote or stuck in the queue waiting for an officer. If stuck in group vote, an officer must visit the group page to dislodge it.

It's not my waymark, though. Just one I helped with. 

I was browsing locations for this category when I noticed how few options are available in Utah. All those zeroes and ones make it almost impossible, at least in the middle of the state, to match a name to a location. I've been wondering what other states have this issue. Now I'm curious which states are represented the most in this category.

I was excited to find this category and even found a waymark that matched my geoname (87 32.832) in my hometown of Hohenwald.  I live in Arizona now so while home on a visit I claimed the waymark only to realize that I needed another waymarker to make it legal.  Anyone in middle TN wanting to work with me on this one let me know.  I'd be happy to help with others if you need a partner in Arizona or western New Mexico.

40 minutes ago, tnwave said:

I was excited to find this category and even found a waymark that matched my geoname (87 32.832) in my hometown of Hohenwald.  I live in Arizona now so while home on a visit I claimed the waymark only to realize that I needed another waymarker to make it legal.  Anyone in middle TN wanting to work with me on this one let me know.  I'd be happy to help with others if you need a partner in Arizona or western New Mexico.

You need another person. They don't have to be a geocacher or waymarker. 

In order for both of you to get credit for the cache, your buddy must email me stating that he took the photo and reference your Username, or put this info into his log if he posts the photo directly for you.

This way you can both log a cache. If he does not log, or if you have someone other than a Geocacher do this for you, you will get solo credit providing you have the photo with your log.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

You need another person. They don't have to be a geocacher or waymarker. 

In order for both of you to get credit for the cache, your buddy must email me stating that he took the photo and reference your Username, or put this info into his log if he posts the photo directly for you.

This way you can both log a cache. If he does not log, or if you have someone other than a Geocacher do this for you, you will get solo credit providing you have the photo with your log.

Actually my muggle stepdaughter took the picture.  I showed her the map of where I needed to go and we stopped by the dairy farm there on our way to her Christmas pageant at church.  I told her just to take a close up of my hand to show the coords.  Should I have her submit it? 

1 minute ago, tnwave said:

Actually my muggle stepdaughter took the picture.  I showed her the map of where I needed to go and we stopped by the dairy farm there on our way to her Christmas pageant at church.  I told her just to take a close up of my hand to show the coords.  Should I have her submit it? 

Yes! I will accept this.

Description:
A cache site that moves around the globe, takes two to log, but can be done from home! Crusso, founder.
Expanded Description:
With winter approaching I decided to come up with a cache that can be located from home but requires lots of effort to log a find. This cache allows you to stay warm and dry while meeting Geocachers around the world! It will also result in a find for both cachers involved as each Geocacher will find one coord. of the two required.

In order to locate this cache you will have to make contact with another Geocacher. It just happens that about 90% of the time that Geocacher will be located in a foreign country! He may not even speak your language! Intrigued?

The way this cache works, you will first have to generate a coord whose value is based on your entire geocaching Username. Then you need to locate this point somewhere on the globe, contact a Geocacher in that area and have him snap a picture of his GPS at those coordinates. He will email you the picture which you will both log as a find.

Sound simple? Still intrigued? Then dig in!

Now to the logistics:

1. Convert your entire Geocaching handle to a coordinate.
    Using a telephone keypad and your Username, convert your entire Username into numbers such that:

A, B or C='2'

D, E or F='3'; etc.

If your name is five letters or shorter, you must use the entire name and can fill in the remaining values as desired or leave them "open" for your buddy to have some leeway. You must use your regular Username, no creating new ones just for this cache!

This process will generate one coord.

IE: my Username 'Crusso' converts to 27°87.76'. However, "87" is larger than "60" minutes which is a problem. If this happens, as it will with some names, just add "1 (one)" to the degrees and subtract 60 from the minutes. This gives me 28°27.76'. Geocaching uses the DD°MM.mmmmm' format, which is degrees, minutes.decimal minutes. No conversion is needed on the decimal portion.

My result is 28°27.76' as one coord. I can add 0-9 to the end to space it out to seven places or leave it "open" (to allow for some variance at the cache site). That coord. can be either N/S/E or W depending on how it converts.

2. Locate your appropriate Lat or Long line on a map or globe.
    My coord. (28°27.76'), when taken as 28 deg N goes through N. Africa & Mexico; 28 deg S goes through S. Africa, S. America & Australia; 28 deg E goes through Central Africa & Some of Europe; 28 deg W is mostly water. This gives you THOUSANDS of square miles of area to work with.

Now comes the tricky part!

3. Locate an area for your second coord.
    At this point you may want to visit the Geocaching forums and see what areas intersect with your line of lat. or long. and have active cachers.

4. Now that you have an idea of an area where a possible second coord. is, attempt to make contact with a Geocacher in any area along the coord. that you created above.

You can use whatever means necessary for contact: Geocaching forums, phone, email, personal contacts, etc.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to persuade another Geocacher to get out there and take a photo of his GPSr (with the coords clearly visible) at ANY coord. (choice is his) that intersects with the coord. you created from your username above. A photo of the surrounding area would be great as well!

A point located IN a foreign city would make a better photo then somewhere in the woods! Let's see who has the most imagination and comes up with the most interesting place.

I must be able to translate your username and clearly see that that coord. is accurately represented in the GPS photo.

5. Once that photo is taken, you need to get it into your possession.

Your buddy can upload it for you to the site. He can email it for you to post. Then you need to post the log for the find with the photo and tell us where the point is located.

6. In order for both of you to get credit for the cache, your buddy must email me stating that he took the photo and reference your Username, or put this info into his log if he posts the photo directly for you.

Dig out those globes, brush off your language dictionaries, and warm up your skills of persuasion.

Email me if you need help with the conversions!

Instructions for Posting a Where's In A Name? Waymark:
Remember, in order to log this cache, I must have photographic proof that the Geocacher you contacted found the coordinates which resulted from the translation of your username. I need to have the coordinates your username translated to in your log as well as be able to see them in the photograph of the GPSr at those coordinates. Good Luck!