Help with device

rachelmbingham

18 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

That's pretty typical with a smart device/phone.  A GPS device might help, but I would try just trying to find ones that are larger containers.  Once you find a few, you'll get the idea of how things can be hidden and the limitations of your device.

Thank you! ❤️

24 minutes ago, rachelmbingham said:

Hello all. I am new to geocaching and I am having trouble finding many of these.  I am just using my iPhone and it usually gets me within 20 feet So things are hard to find and frustrating for my kids. Will having an actual GPS make a difference, or is this typical?

Civilian GPS is only accurate to about 10' ,  and there's little to no difference between a handheld and phone today.  Ten feet is a perfect day for you and the CO who placed it.

Since "perfect days" rarely happen, you're fine at 20.  :)   Put the phone back in your pocket and start looking.  Any hints, use 'em.

Just takes a while to get the hang of things.  You're finding mostly micros, which adds to the frustration a bit, but you are finding 'em.  Good for you !

Agree with Touchtone on small or larger hides for a while, maybe to build some confidence too.

At this for some time, and I still have issues with anything smaller than an ammo can.  :D

When you get within about 30', start looking around with the thought of "Where would I hide something here?"  The container size from the cache page is a clue as well, and as one just beginning with kiddos, look for Large or Regular size caches.

Good luck!