Logging question

CAVinoGal

I (we) recently started playing Wherigo cartridges, and have logged the ones we were able to complete on geocaching.com.  We never  needed the Completion code we were given at the end of the WIG.  That led me to look at Wherigo.com, to see what the Completion code was all about.  Then I see you can log on Wherigo.com also, with the code.  ??? What is the value in logging twice?  The two apps we have used (WhereYouGo and WhereiGeooh) don't give an option for logging (that I could find, but I am still earning my way around the apps), so I would need to log twice, once on geocaching.com, to get the "find" in my stats, and then on Wherigo.com to ... accomplish what, exactly?  And what is the completion code for?

Thanks for helping me to understand how this all works!

Wherigo's don't have to be geocaches. They can also be city tours or other kinds of infotainment. The completion code is needed to 'log' the Wherigo you have played (just like we log a cache online when we found them).

I try to enter a completion code when I finished a Wherigo. It helps me to check if I've already ran a Wherigo in the past, so I don't have to do a cartridge twice (for example, I already found six Wherigo caches where you had to play a game of memory, but they all turned out to be the same cartridge).

Some cartrides give the completion code at the end, others don't. It's up to the maker of the cartridge.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:19 PM, StefandD said:

Wherigo's don't have to be geocaches. They can also be city tours or other kinds of infotainment. The completion code is needed to 'log' the Wherigo you have played (just like we log a cache online when we found them).

I try to enter a completion code when I finished a Wherigo. It helps me to check if I've already ran a Wherigo in the past, so I don't have to do a cartridge twice (for example, I already found six Wherigo caches where you had to play a game of memory, but they all turned out to be the same cartridge).

Some cartrides give the completion code at the end, others don't. It's up to the maker of the cartridge.

OK, so all the Wherigo's (a whopping 11 of them) I've done I've found via the geocaching .com website, and all have had a completion code that I haven't had to use to log as a "find" on geocaching.com  I can see the "smilie" on the app and on geocaching.com, so I know I've done those.  I'm still not "getting" the value of a completion code or logging on Wherigo.com.

Wherigo's don't have to be geocaches?  So they are two separate games that overlap?  A Wherigo CAN be a geocache, but not all Wherigo's are geocaches?  Is Wherigo a separate game? I'm confused???

Take a look at this cartridge. A tutorial play anywhere cartridge with no cache attached to it.

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Wherigo's don't have to be geocaches?  So they are two separate games that overlap?  A Wherigo CAN be a geocache, but not all Wherigo's are geocaches?  Is Wherigo a separate game? I'm confused???

Wherigo is developed by Groundspeak with geocaching in mind. But it's released as a multi purpose game.

On Wherigo.com you'll find the following text:

Wherigo is a platform that allows you to build location based GPS experiences on your computer and play them in the real world. Imagine playing Zork, Secret of Monkey Island or Myst, but in the park around the corner, or on the beach during your family vacation. Rather than clicking the mouse and selecting a location to move your character, you physically move from one location to the next to advance the story. Rather than searching for puzzle clues on a screen, you look for them in the real world. Using Wherigo, you can create interactive tours, adventure games and puzzles... the possibilities are endless.

and:

Location-based cartridges are not just for those who love adventure games. The Wherigo toolset is designed to be open-ended so cartridge builders can create any number of interesting experiences for a player. Here are a few general examples:

• Walking tour of city sights.
  • Neighborhood scavenger hunt.
  • Innovative marketing proposal.
  • Pub crawl for your friends.
  • Interactive fictional adventure.
  • Alternate reality game.

About completion codes (unlocking the cartride):

Unlocking a cartridge is a way to confirm that you've completed it. This is particularly useful for authors who want to create adventures with multiple stages or chapters, where only players who've completed the first cartridges can move on to the next level.

Read more on:

http://www.Wherigo.com/about.aspx.

http://www.Wherigo.com/faq.aspx.

• Helpful 1

OK, thank you StefanD.  So Wherigo is simply a platform to use to create a variety of different experiences via an app on your smartphone.  Finding a geocache is one of those experiences so there's a Wherigo cache type.  And the completion code is not needed (at least for the cartridges I've played) to log the find on geocaching.com.

Using the code to "unlock" the cartidge on Wherigo.com allows more options for play and verification that someone has actually played the whole thing.  I think I understand it a bit better!  Thanks again for taking the time to help me make sense of it all.  I'd read some of that but it still wasn't making total sense.

When Wherigo was released, there was not the complementary Wherigo geocache type on geocaching.com.  Wherigo was a separate game.  Those who wanted to create a Wherigo geocache used the mystery cache type.  I think it took two or so months before Groundspeak added the Wherigo geocache type.  I don't remember the timing, but it was very early on.  I believe this inclusion in geocaching combined with the community's Wherigo players and builders are what continues to keep Wherigo alive.

At the moment, there's not much benefit to marking a Wherigo cartridge complete (unlocked) on Wherigo.com.  This is because the author doesn't see it, there aren't any stats, and you can't filter out cartridges you completed.

By the way, at the request of someone on the forum, I created a Wherigo arcade type cartridge that allowed you to play Tetris using Wherigo.  However, the player apps cannot play this due to some of them not updating the map dynamically and another representing zones by a single map pin.  Because of that, I added it to the Wherigo Foundation site and enabled it to be played in Webwigo, the online emulator, in which the cartridge works well.  Anyway, while it's possible to create cartridges without geocaches, notifying local players of their existence and building a player base that doesn't just consist of geocachers is difficult.  If Wherigo was updated with scoring and new and cool features, such as multiplayer, skinning, video, and augmented reality, all while keeping it as simple as possible for people to create, we might be able to grow a dedicated community.

I do have an idea in mind for a scoring mechanism for Wherigo, if the Wherigo Foundation were to run the game.  The scoring is a little involved because it encourages people to play and author cartridges to make the most of their score, plus play well in the Wherigo Invaders intercartridge game.  If the community would like to help me refine the scoring, I could post it to the forum for comments.  (Technically, the Wherigo Foundation might be able to create all this without having to run the Wherigo.com site, but the scores wouldn't be secure.)