The problem with earthcache & similar

Korichnovui

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, Team Microdot said:

I'm fairly sure that an EC isn't allowed to revolve solely around cribbing answers off an information board - which is why the cache owner is required to provide an Earth Science Lesson suffient, when combined with on-site observations / measurements, to complete the Logging Tasks.

The EC must assume NO prior knowledge.

The EC must not require anything but the most minimal research on the seeker's part.

The Earthcache you describe doesn't seem to meet the requirements and as such, under current guidelines at least, is incomplete and should not have been published.

You could raise these points with the ECO or, if they delete your log, take up these same points by lodging an appeal with Groundspeak. That's what I would do in your shoes.

Is the problem question in a form you could share here without divulging the identity of the cache in question (the moderators might not like that sort of thing).

Sorry, I can't think of a way to share more about the cache without divulging the identity of the cache.

I am waiting to see if they delete my cache after trying to answer the question (in question)  multiple times.

16 minutes ago, farrtom said:

Sorry, I can't think of a way to share more about the cache without divulging the identity of the cache.

I am waiting to see if they delete my cache after trying to answer the question (in question)  multiple times.

I sure it was the one with this....

IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!
<Cacher in Question> created this Earthcache to share some of Yellowstone's geology with you, not to share a photo op with you. If you do not plan on submitting your responses within 24 hours of logging this Earthcache as found, then please do not log it as found; use the "write a note" option instead. We will delete any found logs if we do not receive your responses within 24 hours of receiving the found log. If you have submitted your answers, but some (or all) are incorrect, you'll have two weeks' time to correct your answers... and we are happy to give hints, but not give the answers away! Thank you for your cooperation.

The part I  bolded and underlined would be my ticket to keep guessing, until I found the answer they wanted, or they got tired of my attempts.

It is a Difficulty 4 cache, but they give a few "This is the wrong answer" hints in the listing. I'm guessing that Question 4 is the hang-up?

18 minutes ago, K13 said:

I sure it was the one with this....

The part I  bolded and underlined would be my ticket to keep guessing, until I found the answer they wanted, or they got tired of my attempts.

It is a Difficulty 4 cache, but they give a few "This is the wrong answer" hints in the listing. I'm guessing that Question 4 is the hang-up?

Correct cache, but no it is question 2 that is causing the problem. I haven given three of my theories but to the answer but still am getting it wrong. There is no answer to the question at the cache or online.

I did a little Googling, and came up with a couple possible answers - three sites, two somewhat different answers; one more detailed than the other and mentioned on two of the sites. These seem to answer question 1, in all the detail needed for a standing ovation, but no mention of anything that will help with question 2.

Good luck, and keep sending answers. Surely they will give you credit soon, even if just for persistence.

22 hours ago, Team Microdot said:

Regardless - it is the correct answer 

I agree (and I saw the website that you emailed me) but they want more specific details about the changes inside the geological feature. I have given three answers and they still say they are wrong but are willing to give a hint.

1 hour ago, farrtom said:
23 hours ago, Team Microdot said:

Regardless - it is the correct answer 

I agree (and I saw the website that you emailed me) but they want more specific details about the changes inside the geological feature. I have given three answers and they still say they are wrong but are willing to give a hint.

I personally would ask them to confirm that the Earth Science Lesson they have provided facilitates you coming up with the correct answer.

If they can't do that I'd log a  Needs Maintenance on the basis that an Earthcache must assume NO PREVIOUS geological knowledge and that the Earth Science Lesson is incomplete.

And then if they still dug their heels in I'd log a Needs Archived.