Understating pocket queries

Cachesaurous

Trying to understand pocket query 

From picture 

The top secton, you pick what you want 

The bottom, you choose what you don't want

For the bottom do you need to tap twice to get it to have a cross thru to not select.  It is just tapping once enough?

Should I choose everything I want, I'm working thru full understanding it to get it perfect. 

Can you get a print out in gpx? a loc is more basic I assume? And the gpx can contact more info.  I have seen the are available per cache but not in a bulk. Correct? 

I have a megellan 310 and it looks awesome for caching! 

Screenshot_20180221-094130.png

Read about Pocket Queries in the links on the Pocket Queries page, or here.

I'd suggest you start by not clicking on any of the “attributes”. For now, go easy on clicking anything that might remove too many caches from your Pocket Query. Remember that your GPS has filters that you may adjust in the field.

So let's say you pretty much want “all the caches around you”. Select 1000 caches total (for the most you can get). Scroll to “From Origin” and select “My Home Location”. Type a “Radius” that seems good. I use 10 miles for a couple of nearby towns, mainly because that's not too far to drive for a cache or two on a whim. Use GPX format for a handheld GPS.

Next, Submit Information and preview it. If the result is “1000” caches, lowering your radius is a good idea, or tweak some other preferences and see what happens. That way, the system doesn't pick and choose which “1000 caches” you get.

Once you're happy with the preview, select a day for it to run, wait a bit, download it and go!

You can also create a PQ very easily from a Geocache map.  Scroll to your hunting area, zoom out a little, Save As Pocket Query.

Edited by kunarion
typo
  • Upvote 2

To add to kunarion's good advice, when you select the day for the PQ to run, you can select the current day, there is no need to wait for the next day to get the PQ.

As an aside, the forums still show you as a basic member.  Log out and back in and it will refresh your information to show that you have upgraded to premium.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Caitandjay23 said:

For the bottom do you need to tap twice to get it to have a cross thru to not select.  It is just tapping once enough?

Some attributes can have two meanings, like the dog by itself is "dogs allowed" (might be used if the area is signposted as a dog exercise area) while the dog with the red slash through it means "no dogs" (a national park for example). So there are three possible states for that attribute on any cache: not present, the positive (dogs welcome) and the negative (dogs banned). Searching for caches with the red-slashed attribute will give different results to searching for caches that don't have that attribute.

• Upvote 1

Also keep in mind that most of the criteria in the PQ form operate under the "and" principle. That is, for a cache to be a result of the PQ, it has to meet all of those criteria (as in, the cache has to meet criteria A AND criteria B AND criteria C). For example, if you select a bunch of attributes, it will only return the caches that have all of those attributes; it won't return caches that just have one or a few of the attributes. Similarly, people often get caught by the "I have found" and "I haven't found" options. If you tick both of these, you won't get any results because no single cache can be both found and unfound by you. Always start with fewer criteria, and gradually refine them and add more to get the results you want.

• Upvote 2