GeoCoin Tracking Number Question

Matt98030

I found a cache in Vienna that contained four geocoins, all the same, all with the same number.

I took one and logged it.   The only log option was to "Discover" it.

In my log I said I would move it along, and the owner replied to me that there was no need to move it, that I could just keep it as  souvenir, and let my friends "discover" it.

There have been several entries in the coin log since I picked it up.

I would like to do something similar, and make my own coins and pass them out as souvenirs, all with the same tracking number.

I asked HQ for some help on this and they said that wasn't how they recommended using coins..   and every coin should have a unique tracking number...

I'm relatively new to caching, and this is very confusing...

That is pretty unusual (referring to the way that the other user is handling the codes).

The intent of geocoin (and travel bugs) are to travel/move and be logged by users that have picked them up and dropped them off - or discovered them at an event or in a cache.

Having multiple coins with the same number would be a nightmare of logs with one person picking up the coin and noting that it was dropped off in cache X in the United States (for example). Then another user picking up a separate coin with the same number would log that they picked it up in cache Y in the Netherlands (again, for example) and the tracking on that page would show it jumping from the US to the Netherlands because the system thinks one code = one coin.

For signature items, I don't (personally) see the need for tracking numbers. If they are just going to be picked up and collected why the need for tracking at all?

Just food for thought...