Logging TBs based on the code only

TheLimeCat

I'm sorry if the title of this thread describes the topic poorly, but recently I noticed several people logging a trackable of mine as 'discovered', from a cache in Germany, hundreds of miles from where the last log on the page placed it. I assumed someone had simply forgotten to log a drop, so I corrected the location to the cache in Germany. After having done that though, the previous logger contacted me to say that they were still in possession of the trackable. They did me a favor by reaching out to the German loggers to ask what exactly they were logging. Evidently, someone has written down the tracking code for my trackable in a TB hotel and people are discovering it by simply writing down the code rather than actually finding the TB.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I be deleting the discovered logs, or is this common practice? 

36 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

I do delete Discover logs (even ones that are "legitimate ...

That's odd (to me).  We have folks thanking us for "Discover" logs on trackables.  Usually found in the wrong cache, or supposedly lost for some time.  Our log says why it's discovered, usually  just can't retrieve/drop it quick enough to move along, but found it logged improperly.  We found a few carried by another to events, though they weren't even listed as the people holding it.  But thanks for the heads-up, if I spot one similar of yours, I'll be sure I don't let you know.  :)

1 hour ago, TheLimeCat said:

Should I be deleting the discovered logs, or is this common practice? 

Though seems to be "common practice" these days, it's really up to you.  It's your trackable.    :)

I'd probably delete obvious fakes.  If I saw a "I found your trackable in abc cache, but it's supposed to be in 123 cache.  Can't move it on, but it's safe in abc (for now)" I'd let it stand.

41 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

That's odd (to me).  We have folks thanking us for "Discover" logs on trackables.  Usually found in the wrong cache, or supposedly lost for some time.  Our log says why it's discovered, usually  just can't retrieve/drop it quick enough to move along, but found it logged improperly.  We found a few carried by another to events, though they weren't even listed as the people holding it.  But thanks for the heads-up, if I spot one similar of yours, I'll be sure I don't let you know.  :)

You  missed part of my post: " (even ones that are "legitimate", people having seen the trackable at an event - my TB page says "no sharing/discovering this TB at events. Cache logs only."). "

If it's a discover log from a cache, that's one thing (and appreciated). If it's a discover log at an event, I delete them.

1 hour ago, TriciaG said:

You  missed part of my post: " (even ones that are "legitimate", people having seen the trackable at an event - my TB page says "no sharing/discovering this TB at events. Cache logs only."). "

If it's a discover log from a cache, that's one thing (and appreciated). If it's a discover log at an event, I delete them.

I didn't miss it.   :)

I'll repeat, if I find another trackable brought to an event, and it's being passed around by someone different than the one it's listed as held by  (we've already found some like that..),  hopefully it's not yours.  ;)