Filter out own caches

Ragfoot

How are you loading caches onto your 700?  There should be an option to select something like "Hide my own caches" or "Exclude owned caches". If you don't see that option, then let us know how you're loading caches and we can better direct you.

It's not typical for cachers to to log a Find on caches that they hid themselves. It used to be possible to log a Found It on owned caches, but recently the logging process was changed to prevent cachers from being able to log their owned caches.  See  HERE.

I suggest the following:

• don't load them at all (or as they're already loaded, remove that file or files)
  • I  keep mine in my gps, but I before loading, change type to waypoint, and change the symbol to train depot. I don't worry much about the loss of text, though there are times when I wish I had the darn hint ;-)  I'm too lazy to fool with text changes that would carry over
  • Alternately, you could mark them all found before loading.

I'd do either of those things (change type to waypoint, or mark all found) in GSAK.  If you're using the Garmin software (basecamp?), I'm no help, it's been too long since I fooled with it.  I think change type to waypoint is possible, but not sure about marking them all found. If you're dragging PQ results directly into the Garmin, then there's no way to edit. You could download your owned caches as LOC files as you generated the PQ (it's a setting at the bottom of the PQ page), I think that will make them waypoints in the Garmin. Not 100% sure of that.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Thanks for the replies. I am loading using GSAK and will try marking all my hides as found. I was hoping to be able to have all the caches in my GPSr, but be able to select only unfound caches OR select only my hides (for maintenance), OR select all for when I'm looking for a spot without a hide. 

I've recently switched over from using a Delorme for the last bunch of years. Quite a few features on the Delorme that don't seem to be available with Garmin. Another is not being able to log a note on a cache. If I find a challenge cache, I DON'T want to mark it found until I can list qualifications. With the Delorme, log a note is an option along with found or DNF. Then GSAK posts my logs as notes with boilerplate stating that I have not checked for qualifications yet.

57 minutes ago, Ragfoot said:

Another is not being able to log a note on a cache. If I find a challenge cache, I DON'T want to mark it found until I can list qualifications. With the Delorme, log a note is an option along with found or DNF.

One thing I've done with challenges that I'm not yet qualified for is to enter it as a DNF in my Garmin and add a comment like "found", then change it to a Write Note and enter my preferred text after uploading to Field Notes. I suppose you could do the same, change log type from DNF to WN and edit text, within GSAK?  It's still not ideal, but it's easier to run through my DNF's than to search through my Finds.

1 hour ago, Ragfoot said:

Thanks for the replies. I am loading using GSAK and will try marking all my hides as found. I was hoping to be able to have all the caches in my GPSr, but be able to select only unfound caches OR select only my hides (for maintenance), OR select all for when I'm looking for a spot without a hide.

I don't use GSAK, so not sure if there are any tricks to achieve what you're looking for. I know there is a filter within the Garmin GPSr to filter Found vs Did Not Find, but I've never bothered using filters in my GPSr, so not sure if that would help you. Perhaps someone that is more familiar with GSAK will chime in with some suggestions, or you might have some luck asking folks in the  GSAK Forum  if there's something you can do to your cache list before loading it into your GPSr.