image description cannot be entered

Pontiac_CZ

I noticed this yesterday and it still persists. When logging a cache (the new form), I upload photos and want to add descriptions to each of them as usual.  I click the first one, the description text field pops up and when I click into it, it disappears. Just as if I click "Cancel". The same with the rest.

Firefox 56.0.2 64bit, Windows 7 64bit.

EDIT: I have found out a way how to get into the text box. You need to right-click it, the context menu pops up but at the same time the cursor starts blinking in the box. Then just hit the "Escape" key to get rid off the menu and you're in. :) But I guess this is not how it's supposed to work.

Edited by Pontiac_CZ
additional info

I just tried it and experienced the same behavior (both the unwanted closing and the right-click workaround). I'm also using Firefox 56.0.2 64-bit, but on Windows 10 1703 x64.

In fact, I just tried it in other browsers, and I get the same issue in IE11 (11.674.15063.0, the one that comes with build 1703) and Chrome 62.0.3202.75.

8 hours ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

I noticed this yesterday and it still persists. When logging a cache (the new form), I upload photos and want to add descriptions to each of them as usual.  I click the first one, the description text field pops up and when I click into it, it disappears. Just as if I click "Cancel". The same with the rest.

Same here, Windows 10, Chrome latest version.  I haven't tried the workaround....

I can edit the photo, once posted to my log, and add a description and caption.  I just added a description to the photos I had posted a few days back.  I can also add photos to an already posted log, and the Caption and Description boxes appear to work.  The issue seems to occur when posting a new log and photos at the same time.  So another workaround would be to post the log, without pictures, then edit the log and add the photos.

6 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I can edit the photo, once posted to my log, and add a description and caption.  I just added a description to the photos I had posted a few days back.  I can also add photos to an already posted log, and the Caption and Description boxes appear to work.  The issue seems to occur when posting a new log and photos at the same time.  So another workaround would be to post the log, without pictures, then edit the log and add the photos.

Yes, there are workarounds, but it really would be nice if this bug could be fixed. I tend to post a lot of captioned photos with my logs and the breaking of this functionality does make things more cumbersome.

15 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, there are workarounds, but it really would be nice if this bug could be fixed. I tend to post a lot of captioned photos with my logs and the breaking of this functionality does make things more cumbersome.

I totally agree - the workarounds get the job done, but not without extra steps that should not be needed.  The bug seems to occur only when adding a photo and log at the same time, which is likely what most of us do.

On 11/15/2017 at 0:51 PM, barefootjeff said:

Many thanks, it's all good now.

Keep in mind that adding photo descriptions from the logging page adds text to the photo's "Description" - which is not visible when viewing a cacher's Gallery. Users have to click to enlarge the photo in order to see the added text.

I'd personally prefer that the text is added to the photo's "Name" - which is visible in a cacher's Gallery.