Make your own code for a checker?

_SWH

Hi. This isn't really about existing checker sites, or api. So I thought this post could go here? But I would like to see if anyone knows how to write/ type code? I'm looking to learn or hire someone for my own checker website or program if possible. 

Edited by _SWH
1 hour ago, arisoft said:

I think that every web-designer knows how to make a geochecker. May be you have some idea how to make a better geochecker?

Hi not really. I want to give more options and take some things away I don't want.  I just want my own checkers. :)

A friendly caution before you spend time, effort and money on your idea.  Any new geochecker would need to be approved by Geocaching HQ before it would be allowed for use on a cache page.  Issues that could prevent approval include, but are not limited to, requiring the establishment of an account, requiring use of Geocaching.com login credentials, or excessive use of advertisements on the geochecker site.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Keystone said:

A friendly caution before you spend time, effort and money on your idea.  Any new geochecker would need to be approved by Geocaching HQ before it would be allowed for use on a cache page.  Issues that could prevent approval include, but are not limited to, requiring the establishment of an account, requiring use of Geocaching.com login credentials, or excessive use of advertisements on the geochecker site.

yes, thanks/ Totally aware. So where do I send my idea?

1 hour ago, _SWH said:

yes, thanks/ Totally aware. So where do I send my idea?

Contact information:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/

I'm not sure how elaborate you are looking for, but we had a local cacher put together an elaborate Multi with a very plain vanilla checker.  Each Stage had a code that was input on the page, which would then reveal the coordinates for the next stage.  It was hosted on his own domain, so there was no need for logging in or advertisements of any sort.

5 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Contact information:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/

I'm not sure how elaborate you are looking for, but we had a local cacher put together an elaborate Multi with a very plain vanilla checker.  Each Stage had a code that was input on the page, which would then reveal the coordinates for the next stage.  It was hosted on his own domain, so there was no need for logging in or advertisements of any sort.

This is not a geochecker at all. It is an ordinary field mystery like intercache which works exactly how you described the function. See: https://www.intercaching.com/intercache/index.php

More discussion here:

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1

Right, if you're just making a "checker" for personal use, it's just like making a puzzle cache that requires visiting a web page to "solve" the puzzle. You know you've solved it when you get the result of the checker as success.

If you want to make what I think would generally be considered a reusable geochecker, it would be a distinct website that can be reused for multiple listings, and enter into the issues Touchstone described requiring approval from GS.

Very loosely speaking, every checker is a form of component to a puzzle; especially keyword checkers, since you can't get the final coordinates until you enter the correct keyword.

So if you want to program your own "puzzle" / coordinate / keyword checker, well you'd need to hire a good programmer who could make it hard to 'hack' and cheat (that is the biggest issue), or learn how to code yourself :)