Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
Geocaching HQ

Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Updated onboarding) - October 2, 2017

7 posts in this topic

Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Updated onboarding) - October 2, 2017

With this release, we’re introducing new users to the game in a better, easier way. These changes will not affect geocachers who have previously found and logged a cache.

For players have never logged a geocache, a new overview of caches in their area will display along with a recommended first cache to find. The cache details page will expand so the player can learn more about the hide. Players can choose to disregard the cache and choose another, or proceed to navigating to the recommended geocache. After the first find (smiley), the geocacher will have the opportunity to receive up to two more geocache suggestions.

Although the criteria for the recommended cache can change and improve over time, the idea is to offer a great introduction to geocaching. In addition to other criteria, we’ll ensure the most recent log is not a Did Not Find (DNF), Needs Maintenance (NM), or Needs Archived (NA), that there is no NM attribute, that the cache is not locked, disabled, or archived, and that the user has not already found the cache (when on the second and third suggestions).

Unrelated to the new onboarding process, we’ve also made several bug fixes and small tweaks.

Ben H from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

 

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Unrelated comments may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please put trail maps back into the app - like the open cycle map available in the original geocaching app. It is available on the website but would be much more helpful if it was available in the app which is what geocachers are using in the field. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Team ToCCK said:

Please put trail maps back into the app - like the open cycle map available in the original geocaching app. It is available on the website but would be much more helpful if it was available in the app which is what geocachers are using in the field. 

Thanks for the feedback. Are you aware of the Trails map type that can be accessed via the map type selector near the top left of the map? Look for the icon that looks like stacked layers, tap there, then select Trails. As long as you're not zoomed out very far, that map type will let you see trails in the area you're viewing. Is that what you're looking for?

1

Share this post


Link to post

Ben, Hi. Alan here from the Isle of Man. On the topic of encouraging newbies to the game, can more be done to explain the logging of trackables. We have so many going missing now after newbie visits. 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, twoofnine said:

Ben, Hi. Alan here from the Isle of Man. On the topic of encouraging newbies to the game, can more be done to explain the logging of trackables. We have so many going missing now after newbie visits. 

Yes please....I have trying to track down a Magic Ixalan trackable.....so I can help it move along...

It seems they -the Ixalan trackables - are being kept / nixed or the finders are not logging them in so others can help the mission of the trackable along.

CPT  Morgan.  Ixalan pirate fan.

 

Edited by tjmorgan1962
Auto correct mis spelling
0

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, twoofnine said:

Ben, Hi. Alan here from the Isle of Man. On the topic of encouraging newbies to the game, can more be done to explain the logging of trackables. We have so many going missing now after newbie visits. 

 

2 hours ago, tjmorgan1962 said:

Yes please....I have trying to track down a Magic Ixalan trackable.....so I can help it move along...

It seems they -the Ixalan trackables - are being kept / nixed or the finders are not logging them in so others can help the mission of the trackable along.

CPT  Morgan.  Ixalan pirate fan.

 

Thanks to both of you for the input. As we spend some time focused more on teaching new players in the app, helping them understand the right ways to interact with trackables is absolutely on our to-do list.

0

Share this post


Link to post

The actions in the OP sound just fine to me.  I don't see them in the app, obviously, but it is nice to see that there is some focus on onboarding.   :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5