Pocket Queries vs. Lists using Garmin Express

boisestate

(if this question is already addressed, please just point me in the right direction)

GPS device: Garmin Oregon 600

Here is how I've been using my Garmin for geocaching up to this point.

1) Using laptop I create pocket queries, I'll cover an area (i.e. Seattle) using zip codes and max out results to 1000 caches per query.  NOT EVERY ZIP CODE...just enough zip codes so the query maps overlap and cover the area you intend to visit.

2) Download the pocket queries zipped GPX files to my laptop.

3) Unzip the GPX files then manually transfer them to the Garmin GPX folder (Garmin plugged into Laptop).

4) Go caching with the Garmin and the updated cache listings.

MY QUESTION: I've noticed that the Pocket Queries page now advertises "You can download your lists using Garmin Express Try it now "

Is there a way to use Garmin Express and LISTS to accomplish the same result?

NOTE: I will use the Garmin if I intend on a cache run that could last a fair amount of time.  The Garmin gets great battery life and it's super easy to carry a spare set of AA batteries.  I use the geocaching phone app for brief cache runs but I'm often concerned about preserving the phone's battery power.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Edited by boisestate
clarificaton

Your PQs are lists for purposes of loading your  smartphone. I don't know if they're list for Garmin Express.  If they are, great, if not, perhaps someone can explain how to turn PQ output to bookmark list PDQ>

PQs are list to a phone only if they've been run within the last week, ie, they're under the Ready for Download tab, on the PQ page. 

I'd recommend staying with the PQ route to generate caches, but not by zip code. Instead, take a center point and a radius of the entire area that's reasonable. Now, create PQs for that area by DATE RANGE. This allows 100% coverage with no overlaps.  You'll have to fiddle with dates to find what yields something above 900 caches. Once you've set those up, you really never need fool with them again. The older date ranges will return fewer and fewer caches over time, as you find some and others are archived. But that's okay.  Just keep adding new date ranges.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
4 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I'd recommend staying with the PQ route to generate caches, but not by zip code. Instead, take a center point and a radius of the entire area that's reasonable. Now, create PQs for that area by DATE RANGE. This allows 100% coverage with no overlaps.  You'll have to fiddle with dates to find what yields something above 900 caches. Once you've set those up, you really never need fool with them again.

I do something similar, but with T ratings; one could use D ratings, or other criteria as well.  It can run into problems if you wind up with enough waypoints & .GPX files to surpass the unit's limits (which could happen using dates as well).  The solution (I'm told) is using something like GSAK to combine PQs into a .GGZ.  See: How many PQ files can I load on a Garmin?

On 9/29/2017 at 0:58 AM, boisestate said:

1) Using laptop I create pocket queries, I'll cover an area (i.e. Seattle) using zip codes and max out results to 1000 caches per query.  NOT EVERY ZIP CODE...just enough zip codes so the query maps overlap and cover the area you intend to visit.

2) Download the pocket queries zipped GPX files to my laptop.

3) Unzip the GPX files then manually transfer them to the Garmin GPX folder (Garmin plugged into Laptop).

I usually use the map page to create the initial criteria for a pocket query.  I can zoom/pan the map after searching for a location (e.g. Seattle) then click "Save as Pocket Query".  Then, when on the PQ creation form page I can adjust other criteria (filter by size, type, add addributes, etc) before saving he PQ criteria.  After saving the PQ I can view the results on a map, to make further adjustments if necessary, then select a "Day to run" so that it will generate the GPX file with the results.  

Rather than just downloading the PQ results to a laptop and copying the GPX file to my GPS I'll load it into a waypoint manager.  That allows me to merge it with other PQ results (which may or may not overlap).  For example, for a recent trip I had created 7 different pocket queries to cover the different places I would be visiting over a weeks time.  I loaded all of them into a waypoint manager then used the "Send to GPS" functionality in the waypoint manager to transfer about 1500 caches to my GPS.