Wherigo Site Issues?

mc3cats

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, if its not, I will apologize in advance. 

I am wanting to know if HQ is aware of Wherigo cartridge listing issues. I can upload a new cartridge but its not saving all the info. When I go back in and try to edit and then save, I get an error screen and nothing saves. Are the HQ hamsters aware of this problem over on the Wherigo site? I have taken a screenshot of the error window I get. 

Thanks

Screenshot (2).png

Edited by mc3cats

If you can't upload the cartridge itself, please send it to me via email.

Most likely, it's the long-standing issue that the Wherigo site does not accept HTML.  Remove all links, images, and text styling from the form you're submitting on the Wherigo site.

No, Groundspeak will not fix any issues regarding any of its Wherigo properties.  All the aforementioned "HQ hamsters" are dead.

(Is that an icon for FrontPage in your screen shot?  That takes me back...)

The cartridge uploads but it will not allow any edits on the cartridge page. Its like it accepts the GWZ file as is. No editing on the cartridge page. I can send you the GWZ file but I dont think the issue is the file itself, but rather the Wherigo web site not allowing the cartridge detail screen to be edited. 

I am trying to edit the name of the cartridge, the country  and state its located in, the name of the cacher listing it etc. It wont even save if I uncheck enable logs. If I make any changes on the screen shot below, I cant save them. I get the error screen and all changes are reverted back to what you see on the screenshot below. 

Screenshot (3).png

Edited by mc3cats

It makes me wonder at the coordinates you're using down below.  If you try to save without editing anything, will it let you?

The easiest thing to try is one field at a time to see what is causing the error.  I uploaded a random cartridge to my account and duplicated what you had on the screen, but to no avail.  Either I can try with the same cartridge you're using or you can try editing one field at a time and saving until you run across the error.  I'd love to know what's causing this so I can warn others.

Nope. Same error screen shows up even without making any changes. I tried saving one of my other active cartridges by not making any changes, just hitting save after going into the edit screen and it worked just fine. Theres some with the cartridge perhaps?

I will email you the cartridge. 

Here's what I see:

When uploading the cartridge itself, the site crops the name to "The Power Of the Olfactor".  I left it for now.  There's HTML in your long description: "&nbsp;" and two "<BR>" tags.  The will cause an error while the nonbreaking space is fine.  I left them in my test.  The coordinates are fine, I didn't select a country, and I left logging as it was.  In short, I didn't modify anything from the original values.  The site did throw an error.

I went back and removed the HTML from the long description.  The site saved everything and did not throw an error.

I also went back and named the cartridge its rightful name.  The site also saved that.

So see if you removed the HTML from your long description.

5 minutes ago, Ranger Fox said:

Great. Thank you so much for your help with this! BTW. I do love the "kit" program. Its obvious you have a passion for Wherigo caches as do I. Your kit builder is about as idiot-proof as you can get with building Wherigos. I appreciate your work on this wonderful program. I feel another donation is order for your tireless efforts both here as well as the kit builder. Thank you!

You're welcome.  I like helping.

I've been toying around with the idea of taking my time and recreating Kit so it can be expanded easily, then open sourcing the project so others can contribute.  The code isn't bad, but I can do much better these days, and if I'm going to open source it, I will need to write a ton of unit tests to make sure anyone who contributes won't end up breaking something.  I have a good deal of the back end already written, but work and other things have been taking too much of my time this year, so I've had to put that on hold until the holiday season comes around.  (Which is funny because I wrote Kit over Christmas one year, staying up to 4AM most nights.)