BNSF

nickzeke

OK second try... icon_razz.gif

Any cache within 50' of a railroad track of any kind should never have made it past the approvers. All tracks are private property and not a sensible place for caching. I had an approver question one of mine that was 300 feet from the track. Once I explained it was also a quarter mile above the track on a public bike trail AND 300 feet from the edge of the railraod cut it was approved.

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

One of our locals had a real problem with the railroad for placing a cache by the tracks. Lots of legal problems and about $2300 in fines, etc. We were told by him that the R/R has a 150' right-of-way. I suppose this doesn't count when other owners have property closer than that, but just to be safe I'd stay at least 150' from the tracks.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

I think I remember hearing that in an average year about a dozen people are hit by trains in Washington State. I can understand the BNSF being really sensitive about trespassers on their right of way. They have their own staff of Railroad Police that spend a good part of their energies discouraging trespassing. I found a interesting news item on the BNSF website that shows just how touchy they are here.

If you've never seen a train wreck, 150' right-of-way is very reasonable. Considering those cars are as long as some houses, and they jackknife just as easily as a tractor trailer rig as soon as they hop the tracks...

What gets me though, is the number of drivers whom still insist on stopping on top of the tracks on a red light.

All I can say is that's one that'll not contribute good stuff to the gene pool.

Cheers!

TL