What does "VAT included mean"?

ebnater

Due to the advantages I upgraded my basic account to premium. In Germany (where I live) it says

"€9.99 (EUR) for 3 month", VAT inclusive.

But Groundspeak charged me 11.49€. All amounts are in Euro! I do not understand, why Groundspeak advertises, that 3 months cost 9.99€ including VAT and then they charge 11.49€?

When I go to my membership details and look for the receipt, it says:

"Premium-Mitgliedschaft for ebnater

Bestellnummer: xxxx

Bestelldatum: xxxx

3 MONATE automatisch erneuernd

ZWISCHENSUMME: EUR 9.99

MEHRWERTSTEUER: MwSt. inklusive

SUMME: EUR 11.49"

Since I seem too dumb to understand it, I contacted Groundspeak, but the reply had nothing to do with my question.

Any similar experience here? Am I wrong or do I misinterpret something?

Thanks, ebnater

VAT is Value Added Tax in the UK.

I *think* that a little while ago they made some sort of arrangement whereby anyone living in the EU pays VAT on top of their membership costs. This may not be true, but I do recall something being said about this. I think this means that there's a single rate for the whole of the EU rather than, potentially, having different tax rates for each country. Again, I could be wrong on all of that - it's also possible that they're just using VAT as shorthand for whatever the German equivalent is.

If they are using VAT for the whole of the EU in some sort of collective bargaining agreement, then at least you can be assured that in 2 years time it'll have to be changed - assuming our politicians can actually face going through with their pet project... ;-)

VAT is Value Added Tax in the UK.

I *think* that a little while ago they made some sort of arrangement whereby anyone living in the EU pays VAT on top of their membership costs. This may not be true, but I do recall something being said about this. I think this means that there's a single rate for the whole of the EU rather than, potentially, having different tax rates for each country. Again, I could be wrong on all of that - it's also possible that they're just using VAT as shorthand for whatever the German equivalent is.

If they are using VAT for the whole of the EU in some sort of collective bargaining agreement, then at least you can be assured that in 2 years time it'll have to be changed - assuming our politicians can actually face going through with their pet project... ;-)

Thanks for your reply! I KNOW, what VAT means. But I have the understanding, that when there is written, that it costs 9.99€ and VAT is included, I have to pay 9.99€. Right?

It would be different, when it would say: "9.99€ plus VAT" or "9.99€, VAT not included".

At least in Germany it is called fraud, when you charge more than you have offered....

Another question to add to the equation is:

Paying via the website, r through a phone app - Apple or Google?

(Previous theads, Groundspeak do rather 'fudge' the matter of VAT, and wont disclose their VAT number... :unsure: )

I paid via the website!

Might be, but shouldn't be so. They are "selling" their product to me in Germany, they list the price in Euro and I am paying in Euro. In fact, in Euro it is more expensive than in USD, so I think, the "transaction fee" is included there.

My key understanding problem is:

Groundspeak says "it costs 9.99€, VAT included", charged me 11.49€ and explained: the difference is VAT.

This point I don't understand.

Edited by ebnater