Garmin Oregon 650t

I loaded a number of PQ's onto my 650t and checked that all the caches displayed OK. After travelling to one of the towns I can't find any of them in that area. It seems that my device has a short memory!! Or have I inadvertently done something to erase the caches?

As mentioned, it may just be a cache filter that got set.

Depending on the distance, it may take a little while for the GPSr to pinpoint its new location. Also, any caches that are more than 60 miles from where the GPSr thinks it is, will not automatically be listed. How far away is the town that you traveled to?

Did you verify that the files are in fact in GPSr? Occasionally, a Garmin Oregon (and others) may not properly "index" newly loaded caches. In that case, one simple thing to try is to delete everything from the GPSr's "Garmin/GPX" folder (back up the files first), restart it a couple of times, then reload the files.

Edited by kunarion

I loaded a number of PQ's onto my 650t and checked that all the caches displayed OK. After travelling to one of the towns I can't find any of them in that area. It seems that my device has a short memory!! Or have I inadvertently done something to erase the caches?

As mentioned, it may just be a cache filter that got set.

Depending on the distance, it may take a little while for the GPSr to pinpoint its new location. Also, any caches that are more than 60 miles from where the GPSr thinks it is, will not automatically be listed. How far away is the town that you traveled to?

Did you verify that the files are in fact in GPSr? Occasionally, a Garmin Oregon (and others) may not properly "index" newly loaded caches. In that case, one simple thing to try is to delete everything from the GPSr's "Garmin/GPX" folder (back up the files first), restart it a couple of times, then reload the files.

Thanks for your ideas. We are in fact about 300 miles from home (where I loaded the PQ for this area and checked that I could see all the caches). Being away from my PC at home, I unfortunately can't check the GPX folder right now.

Set your filter to "Show All" and try again!

Have tried that but still can't see the local caches that I could see earlier.

Only caches within ~100 miles of the GPSr current location will be visible in the list, but all caches will be visible on the map screen. Are you looking in list or map?

I see you mention in another post that you had traveled 300 miles, have you given the GPSr time to determine its new location? (can take ~20 minutes)

If filters and location aren't the problem, the next is to try removing the GPX files from the device, booting it up, then reloading the GPX files. This is straightforward to do in the field if you've been storing your geocaches on a SD card - just pull the card, boot up without it, then put the card back in and boot back up. This will reset the database, which may have gotten "damaged" at some point. If your caches are stored on the device's onboard storage, you'll need to plug into a computer to do this. Any computer will work, it doesn't have to be your own (as long as you have a USB cable with you).

On one occasion, I had a pocket query only half load on me. After performing the steps above, it completely stopped loading altogether. I had to manually delete the database files in the /Garmin/SQL folder. Don't worry, the GPS will rebuild these. This step will require you to be connected to a computer.

If filters and location aren't the problem, the next is to try removing the GPX files from the device, booting it up, then reloading the GPX files. This is straightforward to do in the field if you've been storing your geocaches on a SD card - just pull the card, boot up without it, then put the card back in and boot back up. This will reset the database, which may have gotten "damaged" at some point. If your caches are stored on the device's onboard storage, you'll need to plug into a computer to do this. Any computer will work, it doesn't have to be your own (as long as you have a USB cable with you).

On one occasion, I had a pocket query only half load on me. After performing the steps above, it completely stopped loading altogether. I had to manually delete the database files in the /Garmin/SQL folder. Don't worry, the GPS will rebuild these. This step will require you to be connected to a computer.

I have now been able to check the contents of my Garmin/GPX folder using a friend's laptop - all of the PQ's that I loaded before I left home are missing! I am now wondering if I loaded them properly - I used GSAK - as some earlier ones which I loaded using geocaching.com are still there.

Thank you all who responded to my questions.  I still don't understand what I did wrong, or didn't do right, but I think I'll revert to my original method of downloading directly from geocaching.com and copying the files over to the garmin.gpx folder - that method seems to be safer!