Personal Cache Notes

Thanks for adding personal cache notes to the geocaching-app, to bad it doesn't work. Very very disappointed.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the cache notes feature. Could you elaborate on what problem you're experiencing so that we can investigate?

My problem is that I can't enter or view personal cache notes when I access a cache from the MAP function. The only way to access personal cache notes is when I access a cache from the LIST function but only before I touch start but not after I touch start or even after I touch stop or even after I add a log. I need to add a personal cache note after I find or don't find a cache. Makes no sense to add a personal cache note before I've even gone to look for a cache since I don't have any info yet to put in a note.

My problem is that I can't enter or view personal cache notes when I access a cache from the MAP function. The only way to access personal cache notes is when I access a cache from the LIST function but only before I touch start but not after I touch start or even after I touch stop or even after I add a log. I need to add a personal cache note after I find or don't find a cache. Makes no sense to add a personal cache note before I've even gone to look for a cache since I don't have any info yet to put in a note.

Thanks for the additional explanation. It sounds like your problem stems from confusion about how to access the cache note functionality. (To be clear, I refer to "confusion" as a problem we need to fix, not something you're doing wrong.)

You can currently access the cache note feature from the (...) menu in the upper right any time the cache's details are expanded to full screen and you are not navigating. That applies even when you've first accessed the cache from the map, as long as you expand the cache's details from the preview by tapping on the cache preview info.

The upper right menu is different when you haven't yet expanded the cache's details or when you're navigating. We'll look into ways to minimize those differences or make them more intuitive.

Makes no sense to add a personal cache note before I've even gone to look for a cache since I don't have any info yet to put in a note.

In my case, 80% or more usage of cache notes is prior to seeking the cache. It contains info on solved puzzles, hints I might have gleaned from prior logs, etc. Most info I would note after finding the cache would be in my log and anything that would be a spoiler I'd want to retain would get added to cache notes.

What is relevant to me is that there be a visual indication that a cache has something in the cache note field.

I guess we all use it differently.

Makes no sense to add a personal cache note before I've even gone to look for a cache since I don't have any info yet to put in a note.

In my case, 80% or more usage of cache notes is prior to seeking the cache. It contains info on solved puzzles, hints I might have gleaned from prior logs, etc. Most info I would note after finding the cache would be in my log and anything that would be a spoiler I'd want to retain would get added to cache notes.

What is relevant to me is that there be a visual indication that a cache has something in the cache note field.

I guess we all use it differently.

I'll add to that, as personal cache notes are about 99% pre-caching for us. Mystery caches that use certitude are often giving the only hints after certifying. The only place you can keep those is in the personal cache notes. We've been frustrated several times looking for a mystery where the find really needs that hint. They've added the notes to the new version, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. I end up just sitting in the car, recertifying a cache to see the notes.

So, now that I know where it's hiding, I was able to access my personal notes. BIG step forward, and THANK you. It's still a bit silly to have to stop navigating to the cache to read it, then have to find the right question mark on the map again, though. :yikes:

I don't know that it's so odd. The Personal Cache Note is accessible from the same place as you'd go to see the Hint and Cache Description, right? That seems logical to me.

Not sure if it's different on iOS, but with Android there isn't a need to 'find' the cache icon again. The cache icon and small map are on the cache details screen. No need to 'find' it.

Any thoughts as to why someone - me :unsure: would NOT have the described (...) in the upper right corner? I never see (...) in the upper right corner. It's always the "info" button. A lower case "i" with a circle around it. It takes me to the "Help and About" geocaching screen. I have this info button in the upper right corner whether I'm navigating, not navigating, have the cache info expanded or not. The only time it changes is when I tap a different . . . umm, menu(?) button along the bottom.