Cannot stay logged in

SageTracey

Anyone have any suggestions on why this site keeps logging me out? It is very frustrating. Tonight I logged in, navigated to the forum and was told that I couldn't do anything until I was logged in...which I had just done.

I also choose the keep me logged in option as I am the only user of my PC, but I have to log back in every time.

It may be that your browser settings are set to delete cookies when closed or delete them after a certain time which would mean that the site won't remember you even if you have told it to. What browser are you using? We can then point you towards how to check.

As a side note, I've always had to login on the forums separately to logging in on geocaching.com so I think that part is standard.

Edited by huskydays

The Geocaching.com website and the Geocaching Forums run on different systems, with a bridge so that your account credentials work in both places. But, you do need to login separately when visiting the Forums.

Is that what you were asking? If not, please provide more details, including your operating system and browser names and versions.

Anyone have any suggestions on why this site keeps logging me out? It is very frustrating. Tonight I logged in, navigated to the forum and was told that I couldn't do anything until I was logged in...which I had just done.

I also choose the keep me logged in option as I am the only user of my PC, but I have to log back in every time.

I had the same problem on a different site. Turns out the browser needed to have its cookies and its history cleared out. It's been working fine since then. Some browsers will get confused every now and then.

The Geocaching.com website and the Geocaching Forums run on different systems, with a bridge so that your account credentials work in both places. But, you do need to login separately when visiting the Forums.

Is that what you were asking? If not, please provide more details, including your operating system and browser names and versions.

I use the Chrome browser with Windows 10 on two different laptops. GC is the only forum/logged in site that this happens on.

I'm not aware of other online forums that inherit their users' account information from a separate website's database. Apparently the other pairs of forums and websites that you're using are able to accomplish the task of passing over login credentials a bit more seamlessly. The forum software here is rather old and is overdue for an upgrade.

The good news is, once you have (separately) logged into the forum, if you have your browser and cookie settings working well, you should stay logged in.

I'm not aware of other online forums that inherit their users' account information from a separate website's database. Apparently the other pairs of forums and websites that you're using are able to accomplish the task of passing over login credentials a bit more seamlessly. The forum software here is rather old and is overdue for an upgrade.

Single Sign On is a very commonly used method of authentication that has been in use for a long time at Universities and college. Where I work there is something called CUWebAuth that any web site requiring a login can use. It's used by our library catalog, HR systems, and dozens of other sites. Once one has logged into CUWebAuth you will connect directly to a site using it without an additional login until the credentials expire (typically 8 hours). The current incarnation is based on something called Sidecar which I used when I started there 20 years ago. The campus wireless network uses something called EduRoam to connect to the secured wireless network. EduRoam is used by dozens of universities throughout the U.S. and my login credentials will work on any of them.

If you've used Project-GC that uses something called OAuth and is quite common for sites that want to allow logging in using credentials from another site (e.g. Facebook). There are also a few open source (as is OAuth) systems such as Shibollith and CAS (Central Authentication System) that provide SSO. I had drinks with the original author of CAS at a conference around the time geocaching was getting started. He claims that it took him about an hour to write the first version.