Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill93

NGS advice page for bench mark hunters

5 posts in this topic

I noticed that NGS has a good and fairly detailed tutorial set of pages on bench mark hunting and reporting, that has been recently updated. It has advice for both geocachers and professional surveyors.

https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GPSonBM/

That is interesting, and normally I would not post here in the Benchmarking forums simple because I am a Geocacher, Waymarker, and enjoy Benchmarking. If you give it a good read, and I have, they make Geocachers sound like a group of small children that need adult supervision.

I know that my GPS unit is just a toy, but I can get readings to around 7 feet on average, and I can explain in detail the BM location enough to find it.

I have listed a few "recovered" BM's on the Waymarking site and another Geocache listing service that accepts them as a cache type. Anyway, BM hunting is one of my "Geocaching" interests, but I'm not a professional Bench Mark Hunter.

Thanks for posting the link. :)

Posted (edited)

they make Geocachers sound like a group of small children that need adult supervision.

I didn't get that sense at all. They give pretty basic instructions to both pro and amateur. And reading recovery reports on the data sheets, I see examples where some people in each group need detailed advice.

Not all the reports are up to high standards. There was an extreme example, where a cacher posted that NGS needed to move the disk because it wasn't where his handheld GPS said it should be. That got a lot of laughs from the pros and downgraded geocachers' status in their eyes. That person could have used a little education on what was going on. Looking at the recovery notes posted on the GC pages, I shudder to think someone might log to NGS with comments like "Found in the rain with my cousin BeetleBrain while visiting Grandma on vacation." A little reading on the NGS site may help people get a better perspective.

Even people working for survey companies sometimes post poor reports. They seem prone to posting Good with no update to ties in a much-changed area, or a NF because they haven't thought out how the 1934 situation relates to today's situation. One I found last week had a 1999 report by someone from a big company that said they found a culvert with no disk, when I found the proper culvert with disk within yards of the published coordinates. That shows a hasty look with too little thought. It's possible that the disk was covered with dirt at that time, but it should have been obvious there was a culvert to investigate.

So I'd say read the site, and if you already know the material, good for you, but most of us could learn something from it.

-------

No offense intended if someone uses the handle Beetlebrain. I just pulled it out of the air.

Edited by Bill93

they make Geocachers sound like a group of small children that need adult supervision.

I didn't get that sense at all. They give pretty basic instructions to both pro and amateur. And reading recovery reports on the data sheets, I see examples where some people in each group need detailed advice.

Did you not see the warnings that "1. Mark recovery should ONLY be done with an adult partner!" :laughing:

That is the part I was referring to. Actually I have some nice BM photos, and I really enjoy finding the ones that don't require a metal detector and a shovel, or adult supervision. That's just the Geocacher in me. B)

Jeez.

They included screenshots of DSWorld. Are those accurate? is the UI still *that horrid*? I'll effin' volunteer my time to get it into a more usable friendly interface. Ugh. That's the main reason I do not use it. :D