Log a Trackable discovered when not @ a cache or Event?

BsrlinMAZ

While browsing through the forums I saw a picture of someone wearing a TB around their neck...later I got to wondering: If I met someone wearing a Trackable, but it was not at a specific Cache or an Event, what is the correct way to log it as discovered? Would I just enter that I'd discovered the TB and individual in "sometown, state" or should I make note of the actual coordinates where I "discovered" them?

If I enter coordinates for a location other than a registered cache or event will it affect their TB's mileage?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Yep, a discover. I was disappointed when I first logged one of those and realized you can't add coordinates to tell the system where you discovered it. I thought that would be cool.

Might stop some from 'Discovering' TBs.

Log: "Discovered at home" when I saw a photograph of the TB which showed the tracking number.

Or

Log: "Discovered at home" after I ran a programme to run numbers that might be activated trackables...

:laughing:

Thank you for all the replies/information.

So other than for sh*ts & giggles there's nothing gained by logging a trackable like a trackable patch on someone's pack or clothing, or a Hiking Stick Medallion, or a trackable Decal/sticker on a Vehicle? signalskeptical.gif

Admittedly, I did not investigate much before hand, but assumed when I ordered my Hiking Stick Medallion I'd be able to build up a log/map over time that was populated from others logging my stick after we met (I know: plenty old enough to know better than to "assume" anything...signalviolin.gif )

Thanks again for replies/information.