how to geocache with low signal

delaatjes

We like to geocache.

I'm using my Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone with the Geocache app. In Holland most of the time this works quit good since I do have a good connection in allmost the whole country.

When we are in e.g. French or Germany it does not work as good as I'm used to. For example, a few times we went to a forrest because in the preparation at home we saw the there were some nice geocaches.

Once arrived at the geocache area, we didn't succeed because I finally when getting more into the forrest, I did not have a 3g/4g connection anymore....

But also in the mountains I do have the same problems.

Looking in the online log of these caches I saw that they were recently found, so it should be possible to find them....

Does anyone now how I can solve this?

We like to geocache.

I'm using my Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone with the Geocache app. In Holland most of the time this works quit good since I do have a good connection in allmost the whole country.

When we are in e.g. French or Germany it does not work as good as I'm used to. For example, a few times we went to a forrest because in the preparation at home we saw the there were some nice geocaches.

Once arrived at the geocache area, we didn't succeed because I finally when getting more into the forrest, I did not have a 3g/4g connection anymore....

Looking in the online log of these caches I saw that they were recently found, so it should be possible to find them....

Be prepared ahead of time.

Premium member benefits

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=132

Put the caches you wish to seek in a bookmark list(s)

3.8. Lists

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=288

Run pocket queries of those lists.

Not sure what is happening, but there used to be information about "offline lists" in the Help Center.

2.11. Can I still geocache with poor cell reception?

Powered by Google TranslateTranslate

Yes! As a Premium Member you have access to "Offline Lists". This allows you to save search results, and view them without internet or cell connection.

See here for how to create offline lists on iPhone and Android.

The links to "iPhone" and "Android" seem to be dead right now.

Hopefully someone with experience with the app will be along to be of more help.

B.

We like to geocache.

Take a look at GDAK (API partner/Android ) it's designed for offline use. Just load all needed caches before you leave (home/hotel WiFi) and don't worry about data. Op het globalcaching.eu forum kan je hulp vragen.

I use CacheSense on my Android phone, and it works fine without a cell/data connection. I just need to download the cache data (and possibly maps) beforehand, when I do have a data/wifi connection. Other partner apps should work using previously downloaded data as well.

I have gone old-school when I didn't want to bear the data costs abroad - just print out the cache details

With current baggage allowance most airlines have I wouldn't even consider this B) Imagine having a few thousand listings with you when traveling (we drove 5000Km last year in New Zealand, 3000Km in VIC/TAS the year before). Having a few 1000 caches in my GPS with a full database backup (25000+) in GDAK means I'm sure that no matter where we are we can find a few caches along the way. Free WiFi in hotels/B&B allows for logging in the evening and updating the upcoming area.

I have gone old-school when I didn't want to bear the data costs abroad - just print out the cache details

With current baggage allowance most airlines have I wouldn't even consider this B) Imagine having a few thousand listings with you when traveling (we drove 5000Km last year in New Zealand, 3000Km in VIC/TAS the year before). Having a few 1000 caches in my GPS with a full database backup (25000+) in GDAK means I'm sure that no matter where we are we can find a few caches along the way. Free WiFi in hotels/B&B allows for logging in the evening and updating the upcoming area.

I did it when I went to Mexico, and there was precisely one cache within walking distance of the hotel. :D

I did it when I went to Mexico, and there was precisely one cache within walking distance of the hotel. :D

So it all depends on how long you're away from internet access, how many caches there are at your destination and if you stay at that location or continue to other areas. For this year's holiday I could probably get away with a few printed listings but then we have two short flights with 11Kg baggage limit :ph34r:

Anyway, any good API app that allows to store caches/spoilers/maps offline will do and will outperform any paper system (and it's a lot more environmental friendly).

Leaving the data portion for a moment, I do sympathize with not getting a GPS signal in dense tree cover. There's not much you can do about that, other than slow down and let the GPS have some time to locate you. If you can find a clearing nearby, try to get a signal there, then see where the cache is supposed to be in relation to that point. It's much more challenging to search without a GPS signal, but with patience, it usually can be done. :)

I rarely log caches or search for other caches in the field. Generally I'll have a screenshot of the cache info on my tablet or I'll have a printout of the info I need. Usually my tablet has been able to pick up enough signal for me to follow its GPS to the cache. In cases of low GPS signal it's worth reading the cache information again as the CO will often have accounted for that and provided extra clues for you to find the cache. If you're struggling a lot it may be worth investing in a dedicated GPS unit or even in a simple compass and map. I generally have my compass with me when I'm geocaching and it has helped me before.

I think the most important thing to remember when you're going to a low signal area is safety though. Always tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back so that they can send help if you don't check in. Also, always try to go with a friend or two.