trackable placed on wrong cache

brunomjose

hello. i need help correcting a trackable a misplaced.

i had TB5JWQ3 - Trulla von Tatze on my possesion, and i placed it at GC3AB49. but, by mistake, i registered it at GC6QGJY very close to the correct place, but not the same.

now i cannot correct the register.

how can i do this.

thank you for all your trouble.

If you still have the secret tracking code, you can retrieve it from the wrong cache and put it in the correct one.

If you don't have that code, you could:

1. Message the trackable's owner, explain the situation, and ask for the code to fix your mistake

2. Write notes on both cache pages and the trackable's page, explaining which cache it is really in. Then wait for another cacher to get the trackable

3. Go to the cache it's in and physically move it. :)

It's hard to improve on TriciaG's answer, but I wanted to mention that the 4 alternatives aren't mutually exclusive. For example, posting a note to the TB's page is key no matter what else you do, although I see you already did that. Good idea to mention the two caches explicitly in that log: that will be very helpful. When you log your finds on the two caches, mention the mix-up there, too, or post a note if you didn't actually find the wrong cache.

The important thing is not to feel guilty about it. This stuff happens to everyone, so what's important is to do your best to get the TB back on track, and you're already doing that. Remember that's it's not the end of the world: worst case, someone will find it even if it's in the wrong place, so things will turn out OK, but it will be easier if there's enough information for them to figure out why it's not logged into the cache they retrieved it from.

And by the way, if you didn't write down the tracking number as soon as you grabbed the TB, now you know why it's a good idea.

Dont try to 'correct' things by deleting any logs... It doesn't work!

IF you still have the tracking code, things can be sorted. Then, and only then, can any 'wrong' logs be deleted.

I'd say never delete the logs. If you can correct problem by grabbing the TB, just do it, don't try to erase what happened. But good point to make sure everyone knows deleting an incorrect drop log doesn't undo the drop, it just removes any sign of it in the log.