Nuvi 2

jhssearcher

Im trying to get caches onto car gps, get it but listed by GC #, want it by Cache name, any help would be appreciated, also just getting on favorites, how do I get it on the extra section of gps

You will need some helper software for that, unless you edit each one yourself. If you load a GPX file directly from Geocaching.com, the title is often the GC number, as you see. The Cache Description and other info will also be very iffy. A car GPSr likes "POI" info in the format of businesses and other points of interest that are pre-loaded. With a cache "GPX" file, you're filling the Nuvi with a lot more data than it can display.

I once used Garmin's "POI Loader", because one of its selections was a proximity alert. Pretty cool! OK, NOT cool, because I then got a whole lot of Proximity Alerts all the time while driving around town B). Anyway, the POI Loader formatted the cache files just for my Nuvi. I don't know if that particular software is any good anymore. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2013. But you should try to find helper software specifically for Geocaching. Find one that can place special info into the title, such as cache name and favorite points or whatever you want in view.

Lately, I just load a few choice GPX files (one or two select caches per parking area, just for ease of driving), keep a list of the GC Numbers for a cross-reference, and I delete them later. The Nuvi has a limited memory for extra files, and a limit on the number of custom files it could handle. Unless you go nuts, it's probably fine. But at some point, it will "fill up".

Edited by kunarion

Thanks so much, I used to do it with that macro, but like you said doesn't work anymore

I know you can do it with "GSAK", even compressing a bunch of info into each POI title. You may ask in their Forum about various macros and options. I never did figure out GSAK (that is, it's counterintuitive to me, I mess it all up in a couple of clicks, every time). So when weighing whether I feel like watching a whole lotta tutorials and working through all my questions in that Forum, vs. loading a GC Number on my Nuvi, I just go with the GC Number. Go figure. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

I once used Garmin's "POI Loader", because one of its selections was a proximity alert. Pretty cool! OK, NOT cool, because I then got a whole lot of Proximity Alerts all the time while driving around town B). Anyway, the POI Loader formatted the cache files just for my Nuvi. I don't know if that particular software is any good anymore. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2013. But you should try to find helper software specifically for Geocaching. Find one that can place special info into the title, such as cache name and favorite points or whatever you want in view.

I use the POI Loader. I guess I have the proximity alert turned off. I used GSAK to load over 3000 caches into both the nüvi and the eTrex. Of course, I had a lot of help setting things up from my brother. It works well for me.

I use the POI Loader. I guess I have the proximity alert turned off. I used GSAK to load over 3000 caches into both the nüvi and the eTrex. Of course, I had a lot of help setting things up from my brother. It works well for me.

Do you know if Garmin's "Poi Loader" still installs and runs fine in Windows 10? I haven't needed the Poi Loader in a while, so I don't know for sure.

Do you know if Garmin's "Poi Loader" still installs and runs fine in Windows 10? I haven't needed the Poi Loader in a while, so I don't know for sure.

It runs well in Windoze 10. I installed it in a previous version.