Searching to complete challenges

96Shadow

So I performed a search of all caches in the state of Louisiana and came up with a total of over 6000 caches. They will only map or list the first 1000. I've sorted by date forward and backwards but can't get a display of some of the middle of the list. In other words by listing backwards the list starts at current date and goes back to some time in 2015. By listing forward from earliest cache toward present it starts at oldest cache in state and stops some time in 2008. How do I list from 2008 to 2015? Also, since I may only be seeing 2000 - 1000 forward and 1000 backward, how do I see the 4000 in the middle?

If you are looking for caches with placed dates between 2008-2015, then you might have better luck with a pocket query (PQ). It will still be limited to 1000 per PQ, but then you might be able to get the count of results under 1000 by having a separate query for 2008-2009, another for 2010-2011, etc.

If there's a specific type/criteria of cache that you're trying to find for a challenge, then you could also mention it in this thread and another cacher might be able to give you more specific direction.

All caches in Louisiana, date ranged queries, as Pocket Query.

# Start date End date

1 April/21/2001 June/08/2008

2 June/09/2008 March/06/2010

3 March/07/2010 July/17/2011

4 July/18/2011 June/16/2013

5 June/17/2013 January/02/2015

6 January/03/2015 June/18/2016

7 June/19/2016 - to present

This is seven GPX files, ~6,200+ geocaches

This is all LA caches, you can modify by "I haven't found", - but I'd stick to these date ranges, as they'll work.

Use Pocket Queries for this.

Set up 7 date ranged queries for LA, as above. Each of these will return just under 1000 caches, except #7, which is in the few hundred range.

You can run these (set a day to run), download and dump into your own software to view as a group, to slice and dice and filter (GSAK is the most powerful tool for this, but has a learning curve and costs).

Or do not select a day for them to run, but click Submit at the bottom of the PQ page.

Then at the top, you'll see " You can preview the search here." click that link.

On that page, you can "Map this location" - this will map the PQ results.

Also, once you've hit "submit" the query will be saved on your PQ page (name it something you'll recognize! if you don't give it a name, the site will call them all New Query)

From there you can also map, click the small map icons on the PQ page, in the Preview row.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Also don't forget "7 June/19/2016 - to present" will fill up in time, and you will need to create "8".

Today I updated all files within 200 miles of my home and "#4 present" had over 1000. I changed #4 present to #4 Apr30_2017 and got 990. I created "#5 present" to start on May 1,2017 and ran it and got 11 caches.

Because caches get archived, and the numbers drop over time for each PQ, I'll go back through each one and change dates to get the numbers back up over 900 per PQ about every 6 months. On My "#5 Present" I list Dec 31,2017, then I don't have to change the date each time I run it.