Young people Cache Hunt!

ainemul

Hi All.

I am very new to this geocaching, but am really excited about it. I am a youth worker with a group of young people who want to become more involved and learn more, but they had an idea of creating a geo caching hotspot in their town (population approx 3000) as a unique attraction to draw more geo cachers to visit (we only have one geocache at the moment). I dont want to call it a treasure hunt, but that is how they described it, so am not sure if this is possible? Any guidance would be most welcome!!!

Thanks!!

Howdy and welcome to geocaching.

While it's OK to hide a geocache without finding one first, usually the best way to experience the hobby is to go out and find some geocaches first so you have more of an idea of what works and what doesn't. Make sure you check out the hiding guidelines before you hide your first one.

To find geocaches, you can use either a GPS receiver or a smart phone; there are free apps for iPhone and Android phones.

I would recommend you go to Geocaching 101 to get the basics before you head out there.

Good luck and happy caching.

Hi All.

I am very new to this geocaching, but am really excited about it. I am a youth worker with a group of young people who want to become more involved and learn more, but they had an idea of creating a geo caching hotspot in their town (population approx 3000) as a unique attraction to draw more geo cachers to visit (we only have one geocache at the moment). I dont want to call it a treasure hunt, but that is how they described it, so am not sure if this is possible? Any guidance would be most welcome!!!

Thanks!!

Where are you located?

B.

It sounds like a great idea, but make sure you become completely familiar with the guidelines for listing a cache before you do so. They can be found here . It may seem like a lot of reading but reading it will ultimately will save you wasted time and effort and frustration. I'd hate to see you place a bunch of caches only to have them declined for one reason or another. So read the guidelines and after you are done skimming them, REALLY read them.

Also, to create an outstanding experience for geocachers in your area, try to hide a variety of caches. Use different container sizes, hide styles and types and look for interesting places to hide them. Don't just randomly sprinkle dozens of micros every tenth of a mile. That has been so overdone.