How to search for Souvenirs?

krazykatzen

I was just awarded the Haunted Hides souvenir without realizing that I was within a souvenir zone! Awesome! Now, I'd like to collect more, but I do not understand how to find them. Is this simply because I do not use the "official" geocaching app or do I need to have premium membership?

For urban caching, I use an android phone with c-geo as my app. I need an app that works in offline mode, because I do not have data service on my plan. For hiking caches, I use my Garmin, since it is rugged with long battery life.

Edited by krazykatzen

I was just awarded the Haunted Hides souvenir without realizing that I was within a souvenir zone! Awesome! Now, I'd like to collect more, but I do not understand how to find them. Is this simply because I do not use the "official" geocaching app or do I need to have premium membership?

For urban caching, I use an android phone with c-geo as my app. I need an app that works in offline mode, because I do not have data service on my plan. For hiking caches, I use my Garmin, since it is rugged with long battery life.

Thanks to noncentric for the plug. :grin:

There aren't really "souvenir zones". Some souvenirs are available for finding caches in certain countries, state, or provinces, but most other souvenirs are time-limited (ie. they're only available on one or a few days) but can be earned from any point on the globe. The Haunted Hides souvenir was awarded for finding any cache or attending any event from October 29-31, 2016, regardless of where you are.

The Haunted Hides souvenir was awarded for finding any cache or attending any event from October 29-31, 2016, regardless of where you are.

And solving the puzzle, right? That's what I'm working on. Still brand new to these puzzles....I find most of them quite challenging!

And solving the puzzle, right? That's what I'm working on. Still brand new to these puzzles....I find most of them quite challenging!

You don't need to solve the puzzle to get the souvenir. You use the souvenir as a means to solve the puzzle.

You've got the souvenir in your profile already. B)

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

For urban caching, I use an android phone with c-geo as my app. I need an app that works in offline mode, because I do not have data service on my plan.

It's been well documented on the forums that c:geo is an unauthorized app that basically steals data from the site. If you're not getting enough out of using lists and pocket queries to save offline data using the authorized Groundspeak app, perhaps you could look into an authorized app that uses the API as intended rather than scraping the site like c:geo. But I digress.