Wash. State Patrol Bomb Squad says...

travisl

I just received a call from a very friendly Washington State Patrol Bomb Squad trooper, who indicated that my "I Hate I-5 XXV" cachehad been reported to them, and they had to x-ray and remove it. I'll be heading out to Enumclaw to recover it on Tuesday.

He'd visited the web site, and thinks geocaching sounds great, but he was hoping that there was some type of state-wide group that he could talk to, particularly having to do with labeling caches.

(I'm not sure exactly what he had in mind, but my cache was an ammo box with "www.geocaching.com Do Not Remove" written in magic marker on it)

I told him that I'd send word to the WAgeocaching list, and that the only other suggestion I could give him would be to e-mail contact@geocaching.com. I figured I'd post it here, too.

I'll talk to him a bit more on Tuesday and find out what suggestions he has.

TravisL

AFter reading of yet more bomb squad geocache removals recently, I contacted the OSP to discuss the issue with them. After explaining the activity, they also agreed it sounded like a fun, legal activity (private property issues not withstanding), but said even if they knew a geocache was present in the area where someone reported a "strange object", they are still obligated to investigate it. If they had a contact who could tell them for sure it was a valid geocache (versus checking the website to see if there was one in the vicinity), it might hasten the investigation process and/or prevent unnecessary resources (bomb squad) from being deployed.

They also hinted toward something at the state level as local authorities can easily check with state level agencies for ths type of information and it would be easy for the state agencies to disseminate information about geocaching (read awareness) down to the local jurisdictions.

5505_600.gif

No wonder I could not find it...I may have been the last one to post a note that it must be gone!

my note was on mar 8th at 12:00 pm...I did notice

a state truck with the driver watching me all the time I was hunting for it..anyway we tried...

Bob ...(bebubo) icon_eek.gif

No wonder I could not find it...I may have been the last one to post a note that it must be gone!

my note was on mar 8th at 12:00 pm...I did notice

a state truck with the driver watching me all the time I was hunting for it..anyway we tried...

Bob ...(bebubo) icon_eek.gif

I tried to replace my plundered I hate I-5 X cache last night on the way from PDX to Eugene, but encountered a group of police units dealing with a group of people parked near the river. They were only 100 feet or so from where I needed to be, so I figured I'd best wait until the return trip icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif

I tried to replace my plundered I hate I-5 X cache last night on the way from PDX to Eugene, but encountered a group of police units dealing with a group of people parked near the river. They were only 100 feet or so from where I needed to be, so I figured I'd best wait until the return trip icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif