Probably a Dumb Question...

AkitaDad & AkitaMom

"Aliens"... "geomuggles"... I have to grin at this.

See, I hang with a science fiction crowd, and in THAT subculture, outsiders are called "mundanes". icon_smile.gif

Come hang out at a science fiction convention (a REAL fan-organized event, not some Trek CreationCon for-profit thing, thank you) and you may find some SF fans playing "freak the mundanes".

This is a game which consists of cruising the "real" world just outside the convention, say in a Safeway, in full costume, just to watch all the mundane brains grind to an incredulous halt... icon_wink.gif

-Elana (who never joined such a game, but has laughed her head off at some of the stories she has heard... like the time some clueless hotel just HAD to schedule a SF con at the same time as a baptist religous convention... there's an occasional debate as to who melted down first...)

"Defenestrate XP!"

quote:
Originally posted by falcospav:

See, I hang with a science fiction crowd, and in THAT subculture, outsiders are called "mundanes". icon_smile.gif

Come hang out at a science fiction convention (a REAL fan-organized event, not some Trek CreationCon for-profit thing, thank you) and you may find some SF fans playing "freak the mundanes".

"Mundanes" seems to have traveled to SF cons by way of the SCA attendees, most of whom can't distinguish between fact and fantasy... but that's another matter.

We like to call the CreationCons "Ferengi Cons." It fits well with Trek and for-profit. icon_biggrin.gif